Dry hop in keg @ room temp while carbing - ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarmac

Reaction score
In effort to shorten my carb time, I'm planning to do my 7 day dry hop in the keg while simultaneously carbing to 2.4 volumes. I've already cold crashed and gelatin fined the beer in my primary for 5 days. I just racked to keg and let it come to room temp ~70 overnight. I've found my dry hop works best at room temp after crashing. At this temperature it will require about 27 psi to achieve 2.4 volumes. When it's time to put in my 40° keezer I'll bleed headspace and reset regulator to 11psi.

Is this something any of you have performed before? Is it a good plan?

Yeah I've dry hopped at room temp and carbed. The dry hop will go quicker at room temp. My last one ended up getting dry hopped for 4 months by accident

The one drawback is that you already cleared the beer. Now you are adding back hops. You are going to have floaters in your beer. But yes you can dry hop at room temp.

The one drawback is that you already cleared the beer. Now you are adding back hops. You are going to have floaters in your beer. But yes you can dry hop at room temp.

I highly doubt anyone dry hops in kegs by just tossing the pellets in. If someone has done this, I can guarantee they won't make that mistake again.

I'm pretty sure the OP is using a hop sack. I dry hop in kegs all the time after cold crashing to clarify, and have never seen a floater in my life. Well not in my beer :ban:

You can dry hop and carb at the same time with no issues. Dry hop extraction is better @ room temp than cold temps. I know others on this forum have utilized the same approach with good outcomes. I, myself, quit using gelatin on my hoppy beers, as I found a near freezing cold crash for a few days with a force carb cleared the beer really well by the time I was ready to consume the next weekend (Only drink on the weekend). I also felt it stripped some aroma, but thats a debate for a different thread.

In effort to shorten my carb time, I'm planning to do my 7 day dry hop in the keg while simultaneously carbing to 2.4 volumes. I've already cold crashed and gelatin fined the beer in my primary for 5 days. I just racked to keg and let it come to room temp ~70 overnight. I've found my dry hop works best at room temp after crashing. At this temperature it will require about 27 psi to achieve 2.4 volumes. When it's time to put in my 40° keezer I'll bleed headspace and reset regulator to 11psi.

Is this something any of you have performed before? Is it a good plan?

Sounds like a good plan, I may try that instead of dry hop at the end of primary next time.

Back