Dry Hop for only 8 hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
The President of my homebrew club told me that he read an article that said most the hop oils/flavors from dry hopping are in solution after only 8-10 hours. This sounds, well...wrong. Just wondered if anyone else had heard something like this before.

And no, he couldn't remember where he read the article ;)

When almost every other source I have seen say 5-7 days, and the guy couldn't say where he heard that I am very skeptical this is true.

I just listened to a beersmith podcast yesterday that talked about this. Stan Hieronymous said that most MAY be extracted in 12 hours. I think he said one study was done but there's not enough data to bank on it yet. He did say more than 3 days and you start flirting with the line where you start getting grassy flavors.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I read that study. It was done @ Oregon State and should be available via Google.

To extract THAT fast required recirculation.

However, their testing showed that even without recirculation, pellets were basically extracted in 24 hours, and 3 days was plenty of time. IIRC, the oils even dropped off after that, so going to 2 weeks of dry-hopping is likely WORSE than 3 days.

It's an interesting study. I read the paper. I have tried 3 day dry hopping and prefer it.

Sent from my C5170 using Home Brew mobile app

Does an 12 hour dry hopped compared to a 3 day dry hop have any affect on the clarity of the beer? That was how the whole topic came up. He said that it was very hazy (something that's never bothered me personally), and asked if I dry hop and for how long. I usually go 5 days, but no more than 7. He seemed to think that a shorter dry hop would yield a more clear beer.

Does temperature have any affect? I usually dry hop for a week, but I drop the temperature to 40' for a few days to drop out the yeast.

I always dry hop 3 days if I can and no more than 5. I've had excellent results.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've begun dry hopping half at 7 days and half at 3 days and can tell a marked difference. Very nice that many others have noticed as well.
I've tried just 3 days and I get the nose but not as much flavor but I'm going to keep experimenting a bit more this summer.

Does temperature have any affect? I usually dry hop for a week, but I drop the temperature to 40' for a few days to drop out the yeast.

I did exactly that with this batch, and it was still very hazy. I dry hopped with 2 ounces at 70 degrees for 5 days, and then cold crashed at 40-45 degrees for 3 days before bottling.

Latest posts

Back