Drom John Shmaltz Sweet Sixteen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DromJohn

5 Gallon Partial-Something Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My inquiry:

"Message Body:
I would like to attempt to homebrew Sweet 16. Last night's bottle aged very well.
Do you have any pointers? Recipes?

--
This e-mail was sent from a contact form on Shmaltz Brewing Company ( http://shmaltzbrewing.com)"

Answer:

"Hey John,
Thanks for reaching out, as well as sipping that fine liquid!
I can't send you our direct recipe, mainly because both of us would pull our hair out..
The malt is pretty self-explanatory (and a large list), we mashed this at 149F for 60minutes before starting our vorlauf.
Once you get to the kettle portion that is where things got weird- we had 16 different hop additions spaced 16 minutes apart, making a massive boil and a lot of buckets that needed to be dumped! I would suggest taking some liberties with that, but a good long boil is going to help you really evaporate off a lot of that disgusting water that will leave lots of sugar behind to make that yummy alcohol. The hops are listed in order of how they were lumped together in groups of 3-5 in each addition as they moved through the addition timelines. We tended to do 3-5 hops in each addition 16 minutes apart across 16 additions, but no need to do that at home. Our end of boil gravity on this beer was 36 degrees plato which is 1.159 in specific gravity, depending on the scale you use for brewing.
2-Row base
2% of each: vienna, malted wheat, chocolate malt, rye malt, dark crystal, crystal rye, roasted barley, spelt malt, roasted wheat, flaked oats, carapils
4% kiln amber
3% munich malt
with a touch of caramel 40L and quinoa flakes
hops: fuggle, willamette, palisade, golding, tettnang, crystal, ahtanum, columbus, zythos, cascade, centennial, apollo, summit, simcoe, citra, amarillo
This (and all our jewbelation recipes [are]) is an absolute bear to brew, but have fun and let us know how it turns out!"

My version to follow.

Last edited:
This was too much grain for my system, but I wanted 5 gallons.
So I brewed two batches, dumping the second on top of the first.

Partial something.
16.01 ABV calculated
55.50 IBU calculated
47.33 SRM calculated

45 minutes at 155F
2.3 lb (1.15/batch) 2-Row (Briess Organic)
21 oz (10.5/batch) Kiln Amber (Malteries Franco-Belges)
16 oz (8/batch) Bonlander Munich (Briess Organic)
11 oz (5.5/batch) Carapils (Briess)
11 oz (5.5/batch) Chocolate (Briess Organic)
11 oz (5.5/batch) Crystal Rye (Fawcett)
11 oz (5.5/batch) Dark Crystal (Simpsons)
11 oz (5.5/batch) Flaked Oats (? Northern Brewer)
11 oz (5.5/batch) Roasted Barley (Briess Organic)
11 oz (5.5/batch) Roasted Wheat (Fawcett)
11 oz (5.5/batch) Rye (Briess)
11 oz (5.5.batch) Spelt (Best Malz)
11 oz (5.5/batch) Vienna (Briess Goldpils)
11 oz (5.5/batch) White Wheat (Rahr)
1 oz (0.5/batch) Caramel 40L (Briess)
1 oz (0.5/batch) Flaked Quinoa (Ancient Harvest)

120 minute boils
0.25 oz Fuggles (120 min)
0.25 oz Willamette (112 min 2nd batch)
0.25 oz Palisade (104 min)
0.25 oz Goldings, US (96 min 2nd batch)
0.25 oz Tettnang (88 min)
0.25 oz Crystal (80 min 2nd batch)
0.25 oz Ahtanum (72 min)
0.25 oz Columbus (64 min 2nd batch)
15.15 lb (7.575/batch) Light LME (Briess Organic) (60 min)
0.25 oz Zythos (58 min)
0.25 oz Cascade (48 min 2nd batch)
0.25 oz Centennial (40 min)
0.25 oz Apollo (32 min 2nd batch)
0.25 oz Summit (24 min)
0.25 oz Simcoe (16 min 2nd batch)
0.25 oz Citra (8 min)
0.25 oz Amarillo (0 min 2nd batch)

2x WLP060 American Ale (1 each batch)
5 weeks primary
6 weeks bottle
First taste 23 June 2018

I had full leftovers of 40L, Cascade and Centennial; ordered from Northern Brewer for all that they had; Chicago Beer Werks for Kiln Amber, Roasted Wheat, Spelt and Zythos; Yvonne's Natural Market for the Quinoa.
First time using Kiln Amber, Crystal Rye, Dark Crystal, Flaked Oats, Roasted Wheat, Flaked Quinoa, Ahtanum, Apollo, Citra, US Goldings, Summit and Zythos. I now have lots of leftovers.

Drom John Shmatlz Sweet 16.png

Back