Drinking Starter Beer.........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
So I was siphoning off the "beer" from the top of my starter.... and decided to taste it.

It tastes pretty damn good! It started out as a dark belgian ale that was watered down to the right 1.040 and then I used a mix of carb drops and regular table sugar (didnt have DME) to build it up.

Tastes kind of like a cider, kind of like a belgian ale.

Anyone else do this, or am I about to get laughed off of the board for drinking "starter beer"

I did get a whole glass from the thing, and its almost gone!

Cheers

It is great drinking starter beer. It is like a quality check on your beer. It can only get better.

Rule of thumb: For each percentage of alcohol keep the beer in store for one week. You will experience a far better taste in the end.

Rule of thumb: For each percentage of alcohol keep the beer in store for one week. You will experience a far better taste in the end.

I like the sound of this but can you clarify? Does "keep the beer in store" mean conditioning storage...after fermentation?

-Tripod

Appologize for my English. I am not a native speaker so to speak.

I mean conditioning storage after the beer is botteled. This includes two weeks of fermenting in the bottle and several weeks in consitioning (cool) storage. Mostly a refrigiator.

So 8% of alcohol means a minimum storage time of 8 weeks. This works fine for us. We experienced that longer conditioned storage may improve beer quality. We will not store beer for more than one year. (Because of the thirst...;-)

I mean conditioning storage after the beer is botteled. This includes two weeks of fermenting in the bottle and several weeks in consitioning (cool) storage. Mostly a refrigiator.

So 8% of alcohol means a minimum storage time of 8 weeks. This works fine for us. We experienced that longer conditioned storage may improve beer quality. We will not store beer for more than one year. (Because of the thirst...;-)

That is what I thought you meant...bottle conditioning. That is a good rule of thumb to use! Thank you for clarifying.

Your english is far better than most native speakers I know. ;)

-Tripod

PS - Welcome to Home Brew Talk!!! :mug:

Back