Drilling into Danby DWC3509EBLS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellosluggo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Danby DWC3509EBLS wine fridge that I use for fermentation. Currently, I have a blowoff setup that involves a silicone hose running down under the fermenter into a plastic box filled with Star San. This works well, but is a pain in the ass to setup just right, and in the event of a major blowoff, the box of sanitizer might be too small to contain it. It would be better all around if I could run the blowoff outside the fridge into a larger container.

SO... My question is this: does anyone know if there are any freon lines in the sides of this fridge? As you can see in the photo, it has the evaporator plate on the back inside the fridge, so I kind of doubt there are any lines in the sides... But since I don't know much about these things, I thought it might be a good idea to ask.

6R7X1NG.jpg

Another option besides the side might be what a lot of us have done to run CO2 into a Danby, which is to drill out the existing drain hole (to fit larger tubing and still allow airflow/drainage) and run the tubing through there.

Also, thank you for posting this! I might try to rig up some tubing and disconnects when I redo the lid of my fermentation chamber.

Another option besides the side might be what a lot of us have done to run CO2 into a Danby, which is to drill out the existing drain hole (to fit larger tubing and still allow airflow/drainage) and run the tubing through there.

The problem I would see using the drain hole for a blowoff would be that the hose would have to travel back upward to get into a container, thus forming a trap... But for running CO2, that would be perfect. This reminds me, I need to figure out how to run gas into my full size kegerator from outside, but I digress. Thanks for the reply!

Back