Drilling hole in brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerrden

Reaction score
I have a brew pot I want to drill a hole in to insert a valve. It’s a fairly thick SS Megapot, probably 1/8” thick. Anybody have experience with doing this? Last thing I want to do is screw up my pot. I’ve seen using step bits or tungsten carbide hole saw bits.

Titanium step bit is what I've used in both my SS keggle and aluminum 12g pot. Take your time, measure twice/three times, drill once. What exactly are you planning to install in the hole you drill? If a ball valve, what size bulkhead?

A good step bit makes it easy. Use a punch hole tool to get the start dimple.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of my brew kettle's side valve. It has little value in retrospect and just makes it a little harder to clean. I thought it would be useful for transferring wort to my fermenter but it works much better to use a high quality auto-siphon so I can adjust where to siphon off to avoid debris. I should have saved money on a kettle with no valve.

As an aside for what it is worth, I splurged and bought myself the stainless steel BrewSSSiphon auto-siphon. It is kind of a luxury item but it works great for transfers and is easy to clean. It also has a nice clip for the side of the kettle which frees up one of my hands so I can pump it with one hand and hold the hose in the other hand to direct the wort flow through a kitchen colander strainer on top of my fermenter to strain out some debris / trub. I can start siphoning at the top of the brew kettle and then slowly lower it during the flow. It works far better than a side kettle valve.

https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2018/...brewsssiphon-stainless-steel-auto-siphon.html

I used a 7/8” hole saw that I bought from Lowe’s for like $10, I’ve used it to drill all 3 keggles for valves, sight glasses And anything that needs a hole for tubing.

Drill or siphon is a personal choice. My experiance is with drilling, and it matters where you drill the hole. I believe that the pre drilled pots are drilled to low. After I bought my fermenter I guessed how much yeast cake I would get per 11 gallon batch. I drilled my hole above that mark. I transfer with very little crap via a hose. My new boil kettle the same.
Eric

Back