Drilling a hole in my brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balickma

Reaction score
Hey, I got a two part question for you guys.

I just got some drill bits to drill a hole in my stainless steel brewpot so I could put a valve on it. I was wondering what kind of drill lubricant I could use for this. A quick google search came up with something like this:
Amazon.com: LC Lubri-Cut Tap and Drill Lubricant Paste Stick - 2 oz - Special cooling and lubricating agent for better machining of metals: Electronics

Second part: Speaking of the valve, I wanted to get this one:
Kettle Conversion Kit Deluxe PLUS - Rebel Brewer

I got this one before for my mash tun and it worked great, but when I went to look at it today it says it's sold out now. I found another very similar deal online but it was made with brass instead of SS, and I would just prefer SS to brass.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drilling the hole....
I use a step bit with a little bit of 3-in-1 oil. It's what I had at the time and works fine. Just give it a minute rest or so between steps and you won't have a problem.

There are lots of suppliers for valves/kits...many of the vendors here and others the specialize in brewers hardware. I would for sure use a stainless valve on the brewpot.

I've used wd-40 before. Not saying it's the best thing, but in a pinch it worked fine.

I'd reccomend bargain fittings for your other needs.

how much machining are you going to be doing over the next week/month/year? If a lot then get the good stuff, otherwise what do you have on hand? Motor oil, 3-1, wd-40...

how much machining are you going to be doing over the next week/month/year? If a lot then get the good stuff, otherwise what do you have on hand? Motor oil, 3-1, wd-40...

I don't really plan on doing any machining, I'm not a DIY kind of guy. The only oils I have now are olive oils.

I don't really plan on doing any machining, I'm not a DIY kind of guy. The only oils I have now are olive oils.

Thats exactly what I used with a step bit and it worked fine. Just make sure that the bit doesn't get hot. I checked it between steps, if was warm, I wated a minute or two and dipped the bit in oil to cool down.

Word of advice, stop in-between the step of the drill and check the hole. Last one I did you could just about screw in the temp gauge.

I'd use olive or other veggie oil before I used WD40. Whatever you do, use a lot of pressure and slow drill speed. If you spin that bit a few times without cutting a ribbon, you're going to work harden the stainless. Fill a small cup like a shot glass with oil and dip the bit in between every step. That will force you to let it cool.

+1 to Bobby_M's advice and also be sure to have someone else holding the brewpot while you drill so you can keep both hands on the drill - it may tend to twist sideways when you break through a step, especially the last and biggest one.

Back