Dregs smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
Making a Flanders Red tomorrow, so I checked my dregs that I've been saving last couple months in a 1.020 starter. Opened to pour another Cantillion in tonight and the starter smelled like rotten eggs. I'm a little worried about dumping this in the carboy tomorrow. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I wouldn't worry too much. No way to guarantee they're good, but I'd be less worried about sulfur than acetic. I've had some great beers go through a rotten egg phase. Best of luck!

I wouldn't worry too much. No way to guarantee they're good, but I'd be less worried about sulfur than acetic. I've had some great beers go through a rotten egg phase. Best of luck!

I was hoping you would respond! Everything went well. I drained off some of the spent wort and swirled it around; smelled much better and like a sour. I added a smack pack of Roeselare and the starter dregs from couple Cantillions, RR, 3F, and a Jolly Pumpkin.

Finally tried my first sour I made after reading your book. It's excellent at 5 months. Was like a little kid jumping around, lol. I'll let it ride for another 7-12 months.

Cream Ale Sour (filled the head space with co2 in the strawberry carboy. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436470005.669062.jpg

Flanders Red Ale today
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436470061.499392.jpg

Latest posts

Back