Dr Decoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasondabrewer

Reaction score
Dr. Decoction where are you? I use the decoction method of taking my first running out of my MT after 45 min of conversion and pumping about 3 gallons into my boil kettle. U then bring it to a raging boil for 15 min to carmalize the wort. I then tranfer it back to my MT through my sparge plate and then begin recirculation. This helps to bring my mash out temp up to 175-180' My question is what % of volume of first runnings is the most anyone has used with good results and not to sweet of a beer due to unfermentable sugars?

Am I misunderstanding the question or are you asking how much to sparge? The conversion efficiency is what's going to give you fermentable/nonfermentable sugars not the volume of wort you collect, as well as the attenuation of your yeast. If it's a five gallon batch take about 6.25 gallons and call it a day.

Back