Downsides of a Penrose Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the BoilerMaker diameter is 15.6" so it will look like it might work

Sounds like a tight fit, wonder how 'round' those Penrose's really are? Regardless, there is plenty of perimeter on the Blichmann FB that could be ground away with a bench grinder.

Mine's looking like it's going to arrive tomorrow as well! Sure will be a nice upgrade from my 30qt turkey fryer pot...:mug:

Mine is here! and UPS didn't mangle it!, Success! Sucker is good and sturdy feeling, much heavier than my aluminum pot!

Looks good, can't wait to brew with it.

I am eagerly awaiting its arrival. UPS is supposed to deliver by end of day. I think the day is over and I still don't have the kettle. However we have a possible flood on our hands so maybe they'll use the "inclement weather" excuse like they did with my corker a month ago.

Late night for the UPS guy. I have my new pot and I love it. It's just as sturdy as my other pot but bigger. I'm brewing in it tomorrow. Pics to follow against my old pot for comparison.

I got mine yesterday too... I am going to see about a pickup today as well.

The thing is huge, and way heavier than my old kettle.

IMAG0067.jpg

Damn Jaysus I just realized you were the one whom mentioned you might want to buy my old kettle. Know anyone that needs one? $100 gets it with a SS kettle valve 40qt pot. It's sold now....

Why do guys need a pickup tube on these things? Is the outlet that high above the bottom? On my 42 qt Polarware, I find that the stuff below the valve is usually ridden with hop and hotbreak crap.

Lifting a 15.5 gallon kettle full of wort? I don't know why you would; but I would suggest not trying for safety reasons. The handles aren't designed to support that much weight. Just my opinion. :mug:

Does the company have a way of rolling the lip on these? It would definitely help the diameter stability of the pot.. especially when lifting when full of water/wort.

Seems pretty unlikely that's a consideration at this point. The design is dead simple for a reason, and a rolled lip is a complication...

Cheers!

Rolling a lip would be a fairly easy thing to do if one had the equipment, but we do not. And it is for this reason that the Penrose Kettle will very soon be extinct. We are about out of the scrap that we build these out of. A sheet of stainless (304), is prohibitively expensive, buying new material would push the price in the $260 range......

I like the fact that it has no lip as it's easier to dry after cleanup. All my rolled lip kettles keep dripping for hours after cleanup unless I flip them upside down.

Small detail but noticeable if cleaning up with hard water that leaves deposits behind on your kettles unless wiped dry...

I bought a Penrose last winter and have liked alot thus far. It's heavy obviously but gives me plenty of room to brew with and seems very quality/durable albeit I've only had like 6-7 months. I don't really use a lid so that hasn't been a huge factor for me. It doesn't have a "bling" factor like a poster said, but that doesn't bother me at all. As long as it's quality is all I care.

My only complaint, and its minor, is I can't get the ball valve in the normal position when tight. The open/close valve is on the side, not the top. Not a huge deal. Maybe if I loosen it, turn to where its on the top, and if no leaks I'll be fine.

And obviously I have since seen this kettle is extinct.

Sad to see the kettle is extinct! Always respected the Penrose guys rolling their own kettle here in the US. Buying and working with stainless here in the US ain't cheap!

Sad to see the kettle is extinct! Always respected the Penrose guys rolling their own kettle here in the US. Buying and working with stainless here in the US ain't cheap!

lol, it is sad. I knew it was coming at somepoint, but still. A good buddy of mine picked one up a little while ago, and I was surprised they were still available at that point.

I was surprised to get mine for under $200. 15g, Stainless Steel, quality USA made. I guess I should feel fortunate.

A small isolated population has been found. OK, I was cleaning a corner of the warehouse and found parts to build a few more. If interested, a call to Brewhemoth Headquarters can still get the next lucky few folks a Penrose Kettle!

A small isolated population has been found. OK, I was cleaning a corner of the warehouse and found parts to build a few more. If interested, a call to Brewhemoth Headquarters can still get the next lucky few folks a Penrose Kettle!

Do you know what size barb would be needed for the ball valve? I was thinking of adding one so I can connect a hose to drain the kettle.

Back