Double oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vader ipa

Reaction score
I forgot to dry hop a beer for my wife's birthday party on Friday. No big deal I decided to dry hop in the keg (first time). I put hops in the bag, topped it off and when I attached the lid I accidentally clipped my string and down went the weighted bag. Did I make a major mistake and if so how do I correct it?

If you were using whole cones, no worries, I often keg-hop and leave the muslin bag of leaf to float or sink in the keg 'til it kicks with no character issues - or plugging up the dip tube. Never tried that with pellets though. I would hope something akin to a paint strainer bag was used in that case lest the whole charge turn into a migratory mass of pellet mush...

Cheers!

It will be fine as long as the bag is roomy enough for the hop pulp to expand so the beer can flow in an out the bag to extract the goodness.

You could swirl the keg a little, like twice a day over the first 2 days, agitating the bag for better beer/hop oil exchange. Do it gently to prevent fine hop dust from coming through the bag's pores. The finer the bag's mesh the better it retains the finer dust-like particles. Then let it rest in the keezer until serving day.

The first few pints you draw may contain a little hop dust (giving some hop bite) and possibly some precipitated yeast, depending on how clear the beer was going into the keg. Either enjoy as is, or discard,

Thanks, if it was just for me I wouldn't be concerned. I did use pellets. We'll see what happens and what people say. Thanks for the info

Back