Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewme29

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I recently brewed a double IPA. I read that you should transfer to a secondary after 5-7 days. Then leave in the secondary for about 2 weeks. Does this schedule seem right?

I believe general consensus is to not do secondary fermentation transfer any more. I stopped transferring to secondary carboys a while ago, and I think giving the yeast extra time to clean itself up in primary will only improve your beer.

I recently made a DIPA with an OG of 1086. I let it ferment in the primary for three weeks, added dry hops to the primary bucket and let it sit another 4 days and then racked to a keg. Simple as that.

Unless you are doing real long term batch conditioning/clarifying, I'd skip the carboy all together.

My $.02

I agree with Krid completely. I did a DIPA not too long ago and left it in primary for 3 weeks even though I hit FG around 2 weeks. I then dry hopped in the keg, rather than primary. I only use a secondary for lagers and fruit type beers.

It depends on the yeast. I use WLP007 or WLP090 which are known for working quickly, so I'll primary for 10-14 days and then dry hop for 5-7 days.

Once I got my second carboy (I now have 8) I started doing secondaries. My 10 gal of Alt and 10 gal of Vienna Lager are in tertiary!

Thanks for the great info. I also forgot to ask about cold crashing. Is there any need or use for that?

My input on cold crashing is that it could cause hop oils to drop, hurting flavor/aroma. Some of this could be mitigated by a dry hop afterwards, but then the beer would be cloudy again. My favorite all time DIPA is Heady Topper: super cloudy. So I would say no cold crash.

Back