Double IPA recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghead

Reaction score
My first attempt at creating a dipa recipe and would appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

This is for a 11 gal post boil yield.

25# 2 row
1.5# crystal 20
1# flaked wheat
12 oz honey malt
2# corn sugar

2oz centennial first wort

1 oz nugget 30 min
1oz centennial 20 min
2oz cascade 10 min
1 oz Amarillo 5 min
1 oz simcoe 5 min

2 oz simcoe whirlpool
4 oz Amarillo whirlpool

Planning on whirl pooling for 20 min starting at 180 degrees

Dry hop with
2oz centennial
2 oz Amarillo
2 oz simcoe

Plan on mashing at 152 for 60 min

The hop schedule and combo looks good, but I'd use those amounts for a 6 gallon batch. If you want that huge hop presence of a DIPA, I think you're going to need to up the hops.

It also seems like it would be too sweet with that much crystal and honey malt in there

I find 180* for the whirlpool works well

Just looking at it, I see nothing wrong there.
Looks like a pretty light colored beer with good sized load of hops and about 8% abv.
IMO, the 2 oz of centennial at FW should offset your honey and crystal and the 6 oz of dry hop should give a big hop aroma and flavor.
What kind of yeast are you planning?

For a big beer like that, I'd drop the mash temp down to 148-49 and maybe do a 90-120 minute mash to ensure full attenuation. You'll still have plenty of malt character doing it that way.

ETA: And you'll probably want to move those 20 and 30 minute additions to much later.

The hop combos look great, btw!

I agree with mashing lower (I do IPAs at 150) and eliminating the crystal. For DIPAs, getting it dry is a top priority, second only to a massive pungent hop character. The crystal will interfere with both of these. I think I may have rambled about a few other DIPA tips here

Thanks for the feedback. I will change the target mash temp
to 150 and see how it turns out. I'm planning on brewing New Year's Day. I'll post a follow up to let you guys know how it turns out.

One question... I normally use a hop bag. So when I whirlpool do you pull the hops after the 20 mins or leave them in while you finish chilling?

One question... I normally use a hop bag. So when I whirlpool do you pull the hops after the 20 mins or leave them in while you finish chilling?

i leave them in until the fermentor is completely full and sealed. I regularly whirlpool for an entire hour and havent had any issues with bad flavors

My first attempt at creating a dipa recipe and would appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

This is for a 11 gal post boil yield.

25# 2 row
1.5# crystal 20
1# flaked wheat
12 oz honey malt
2# corn sugar

2oz centennial first wort

1 oz nugget 30 min
1oz centennial 20 min
2oz cascade 10 min
1 oz Amarillo 5 min
1 oz simcoe 5 min

2 oz simcoe whirlpool
4 oz Amarillo whirlpool

Planning on whirl pooling for 20 min starting at 180 degrees

Dry hop with
2oz centennial
2 oz Amarillo
2 oz simcoe

Plan on mashing at 152 for 60 min

Brew this on New Year's Day. Mashed at 150 for 60 mins. Did the hop stand starting at 180 for 30 mins. OG was 1.077 for 11 gallon yield. Pitched wpl001 with a 1800ml starter for each 5.5 gallon bucket. I'll give it a couple weeks then check the gravity.

I read that it's best to dry hop with the gravity still around 1.020 so that the fermentation will get rid of the oxygen from opening the carbon when adding hops, any opinions on that.

Fermentation temp started a little low, 60*. I don't have any temp control for fermentation so I put the carboys in water and am using an aquarium heater to control the temp. I brought the temp up to 68* degrees this afternoon.

Brew this on New Year's Day. Mashed at 150 for 60 mins. Did the hop stand starting at 180 for 30 mins. OG was 1.077 for 11 gallon yield. Pitched wpl001 with a 1800ml starter for each 5.5 gallon bucket. I'll give it a couple weeks then check the gravity.

I read that it's best to dry hop with the gravity still around 1.020 so that the fermentation will get rid of the oxygen from opening the carbon when adding hops, any opinions on that.

Its usually best to not dry hop until airlock activity has nearly come to a halt. Otherwise, all your aroma goes right out the airlock

Its usually best to not dry hop until airlock activity has nearly come to a halt. Otherwise, all your aroma goes right out the airlock

This, 100%. Wait until there's no activity and fermentation is complete.

Back