Double ipa - pictures - 10 days in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpringStreet

Reaction score
I am currently brewing up some double IPA. Things are going well I am about a week and half into my Primary. I plan to wait about 20 days (temp is 60) and toss it out side for crash cooling for 2 - 3 days to clear up. Then secondary for a week then bottles..

I did notice a lot of particles on the side of the bucket when I opened it (had to check to see if everything was running smoothly) Any issues with this at all? I pushed them back into the wort..

THOUGHTS?

Not sure where the pictures went so here they are..

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

Krausen/hop particles on the side look normal to me. Next time dont push them back into your beer though. When your done racking to your secondary take a swipe with your finger of the Krausen (The stuff stuck to the side) and you will see why I suggest not pushing them back into your beer.

First batch? That's just normal krausen residue. I would not recommend pushing it back into the beer, but it's probably no big deal that you did. Looks great!

it just has a bad taste to it, but it will settle down to the layer of trub on the bottom, don't sweat it.

Lol you're not supposed to push them back into the wort :p

Krausen will form a large foamy, yeasty cap over the top of your beer as the yeast sort of reach "critical mass", spitting out loads of CO2 and reproducing like it's the summer of love. As it settles, a lot of dead yeast, hop particles, proteins, etc will stick to the side of your bucket and crust over. Your beer should be fine, but next time just leave it alone :drunk:

Back