double IPA help.. opinions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomersTomaco

Reaction score
I'm a pretty experienced brewer but I would like your opinion on this. I brewed a double IPA 10 days ago. The expected starting gravity was around 1.070 but when I brewed it it turned out to be 1.080 on my refractometer. I used San Diego Super Yeast, had a starter etc.

48 hours later it was down to 1.050... looking good!

48 hours after that it was down to 1.040... still looking good.

Then it stalled at 1.040 for 3 days... so I repitched another tube of the San Diego Super yeast, but not after 10 days its only down to 1.038.

I havent used this yeast before but everyone says it is super fast, but I'm not seeing much results.

I should also add that it is in the correct temperature constantly and in a stainless conical fermentor. I drain the trub out the bottom and get a whole lot of yeast on the bottom to drain out, but looking at it, it doesnt show any signs of fermenting still.

What would you do? Pitch some more? maybe pitch some good old California ale yeast since it has a very similar taste profile from what I have read? Or just leave it?

It does taste really good when I pull a little off the conical to sample.

If you're measuring the final gravity with a refractometer then you're not correcting for the presence of alcohol.

If you're measuring the final gravity with a refractometer then you're not correcting for the presence of alcohol.

This! I bet if you correct for the present of alcohol, you will find you are much lower (probably right at your target).

Agreed on using a hydrometer. I find my refractometer readings after correcting for alcohol aren't accurate. Pre-fermentation they're fine but after fermentation they end up understating the FG.

Back