Double IPA Bottle Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troegaarden

Reaction score
At the end of July, I brewed a double IPA kit from Midwest. The first few beers that I had poured without problem and they tasted pretty good. Every time I open a bottle now, about 80 percent of the beer fizzes out of the bottle and I can't stop it. I really want to enjoy these, not watch them go down the drain. Can anyone explain why this is happening?

You either over carbonated them, developed a bottle infection or they have not been in the fridge long enough to force the CO2 back into the beer and its all sitting in the head space.

If the beer smells funny or tastes off it's an infection
If they have not been in the fridge for a good several days they need more fridge time
If both above are ok then you over carbonated.

I had a similar problem with an Apple Hefeweizen once. I added sour apple slices to each bottle along with the normal amount of priming sugar and ended up really over carbonating. Every time we opened a bottle we would get a jet of foam about a foot high and almost no drinkable beer. I don't have much in they way of advice for fixing the batch you've got but, I would guess there was to much priming sugar.

Back