Double Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbodkin

Reaction score
So I made a batch of wheat beer that I plan on being Peach Wheat ... After 2 weeks in Primary, I racked onto 5lbs of peaches to sit for another 2 weeks before kegging ...

My question is, the fructose in the peaches seems to have started a second fermentation ... How will this work out?

Is it ok to go through another fermentation?

Do I just handle as I would a fresh patch and rack again and condition for 2more weeks?

or did this ruin my beer? :(

In my last batch of cherry wheat, the 5lbs of cherries I added to the secondary raised the ABV by about 3/4 of a point due to secondary fermentation. I got some "wine" flavor too.

For the next batch, I plan to crash chill the wheat beer before racking to secondary, and to keep it chilled in the secondary with the cherries. I hope to avoid the secondary fermentation and just get the cherry taste and smell.

jbodkin, yes its fine. All you have done is fermented more sugars, raised your ABV. Don't worry. Do you have to rack again and let sit? You can if you want to, it will not hurt.

Cpt Kirks, unless you pasteurize the beer before adding the adjunct you will have a second (primary) fermentation event because, cold crash or not, there will be yeast in there and they will eat the fructose.

Cpt Kirks, unless you pasteurize the beer before adding the adjunct you will have a second (primary) fermentation event because, cold crash or not, there will be yeast in there and they will eat the fructose.

Even if I am using ale yeast and chilling below the active temperature for the yeast?

Kind of like "lagering", but with ale yeast. I suppose there will be a little fermenation at those temps, but not much.

Even if I am using ale yeast and chilling below the active temperature for the yeast?

Kind of like "lagering", but with ale yeast. I suppose there will be a little fermenation at those temps, but not much.

You want to ferment those sugars you just added before you bottle or you can guarantee bottle bombs. Unless you plan on force carbing them in kegs.

Back