Doppelbock lagering time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff...

Reaction score
So I brewed a doppelbock back in early October 2019. It took 9 weeks to complete primary fermention (including diacetyl rest)
OG 1.096 / FG 1.016 with Saflager 34/70.

At the time of kegging for lagering, it looked, smelled and tasted wonderfully STRONG.
IMG_20200110_224221151_HDR.jpg

I usually lager german style beers in the serving keg @ 35 degrees for 6 to 8 weeks. But honestly the beer was around 10.5% ABV at the start of lagering and it kind of intimidates me.

In all honesty how long would you lager this beer, before you force carbonate for serving?

I would have carbonated it immediately after kegging, so that when it is finally conditioned, it would also be ready to drink with no further waiting. So I would do that now. This way you can take a taste every week and observe it as it evolves. Nobody is forcing you to guzzle it down just because it's on tap. Unless you are dealing with only a single available tap, or something like that where it displaces other, more readily drinkable beers.

20200318_190511.jpg
I brewed my Doppelbock in October also, it was my first and missed my numbers by alot. which i was surprised, im usually within 1 or 2 points. anyway I ended up with a 7.5% Doppelbock.
I used WLP820 yeast cake from my Oktoberfest. it fermented at 50F for a total of 4 weeks including the D-rest. and lagered for 7 weeks at 35F in the keg. it was fantastic wish the ABV was higher, but very happy with it. all four of my Lagers so far since August have been my best so far, I think its due to bigger starters and my new fermentation fridge.
since its a bigger beer than mine I might of gone 10-12 weeks. (Im not that technical of a brewer)
cheers

View attachment 673085 I brewed my Doppelbock in October also, it was my first and missed my numbers by alot. which i was surprised, im usually within 1 or 2 points. anyway I ended up with a 7.5% Doppelbock.
I used WLP820 yeast cake from my Oktoberfest. it fermented at 50F for a total of 4 weeks including the D-rest. and lagered for 7 weeks at 35F in the keg. it was fantastic wish the ABV was higher, but very happy with it. all four of my Lagers so far since August have been my best so far, I think its due to bigger starters and my new fermentation fridge.
since its a bigger beer than mine I might of gone 10-12 weeks. (Im not that technical of a brewer)
cheers

That's a Beautiful looking beer.

I would have carbonated it immediately after kegging, so that when it is finally conditioned, it would also be ready to drink with no further waiting. So I would do that now. This way you can take a taste every week and observe it as it evolves. Nobody is forcing you to guzzle it down just because it's on tap. Unless you are dealing with only a single available tap, or something like that where it displaces other, more readily drinkable beers.

Interesting that you force carbonate immediately upon kegging. I may have to try that. So do you secondary Germany style lagers or go right from primary to kegging?

I have a German Pilsner fermented with Saflager S-189 completing diacetyl, that I need to rack. It's still fairly cloudy so I plan on racking into a glass carboy, to cold crash. and maybe fine, if it's not dropped clear after a week or so. Whenever I do get it clear, I'll keg it, force carbonate and lager like you suggested.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

View attachment 673085 I brewed my Doppelbock in October also, it was my first and missed my numbers by alot. which i was surprised, im usually within 1 or 2 points. anyway I ended up with a 7.5% Doppelbock.
cheers

I really need a fermention fridge. I'm limited to a deep cement lined hole I dug under the house that dubs as a vegatable root cellar and tornado shelter to ferment lagers. It stays pretty consistent around 50 degrees throughout the winter here in southern IL.

I do however have a temperature controlled 6 korny keg chest freezer that I use for lagering, and three tap keezer that built, it just fits 3 ball lock corny's. I guess I'm a seasonal brewer, lagers in the late fall, winter and early spring, ales the remainder of the time.

Hi Jeff,

Actually I ferment lagers in kegs, so I either transfer directly to a second serving keg, or occasionally I experiment with serving in the primary keg (with a floating dip tube). I never use a secondary.

Granted, I have done so occasionally in the past for a high gravity style. Nowadays though, I only brew 4-5% ABV beer, so significant aging is not needed. For the 2-6 week lagering process, I like using my keezer which is set to 44F. I put the beer on gas while it's conditioning, then move it to an open tap when both the beer and tap are ready to rock. I'll do this for ales and lagers alike.

You are lucky to have a 50F ambient location for fermenting, however ghetto it might be!

I really need a fermention fridge. I'm limited to a deep cement lined hole I dug under the house that dubs as a vegatable root cellar and tornado shelter to ferment lagers. It stays pretty consistent around 50 degrees throughout the winter here in southern IL.

I do however have a temperature controlled 6 korny keg chest freezer that I use for lagering, and three tap keezer that built, it just fits 3 ball lock corny's. I guess I'm a seasonal brewer, lagers in the late fall, winter and early spring, ales the remainder of the time.

I do/will be doing the same as a seasonal brewer. My basement is is perfect from about November until early march, but it’s getting to about 60 recently. I’ll move onto low 60F yeasts, and then ale yeasts until fall. And honestly, I’m the height of summer I even struggle with normal ale temps down there, but I make it work. There’s a giant thread on warm fermenting lagers with 34/70 on the forums, though. I will be trying that at some point.

I really have enjoyed my first winter with lagers though.

I do/will be doing the same as a seasonal brewer. My basement is is perfect from about November until early march, but it’s getting to about 60 recently. I’ll move onto low 60F yeasts, and then ale yeasts until fall. And honestly, I’m the height of summer I even struggle with normal ale temps down there, but I make it work. There’s a giant thread on warm fermenting lagers with 34/70 on the forums, though. I will be trying that at some point.

I really have enjoyed my first winter with lagers though.

I really like using Safale K-97 in the early spring and when the style allows for it. So I plan a beer or two for late spring, I just finished up a German Altbrier Kölsch
IMG_20200313_173947853.jpg

and started a spotted cow clone with K-97

I'm primarily a German style brewer. But love a good Irish red and spotted cow is a great lawnmower beer.

I'm sure there are other threads here on K-97 but all will say, is give it plenty of head room is krausens very high and it's creamy mess will plug up a blowoff tube right quick.

Last edited:
I really like using Safale K-97 in the early spring and when the style allows for it. So I plan a beer or two for late spring, I just finished up a German Altbrier Kölsch
View attachment 673121
and started a spotted cow clone with K-97

I'm primarily a German style brewer. But love a good Irish red and spotted cow is a great lawnmower beer.

I'm sure there are other threads here on K-97 but all will say, is give it plenty of head room is krausens very high and it's creamy mess will plug up a blowoff tube right quick.

Nice!

I can raise temperature, but I'm at the mercy of the basement for lowering it.

I bought a packet of K-97 a few weeks back when I was ordering my quarterly ingredients. It was an impulse buy (along with a few others haha) and I don't have anything planned for it yet, but ill think something up. I have a smack pack of 1007 that I need to get brewing on before that. I really like that yeast at 60, and thats in my temperature wheelhouse for awhile yet. I need to get something American and hoppy into a fermenter soon though. Those are running low in my fridge.

The general guideline for lagering is 1 week per 1 degree plato. So if the OG was 1.090 which is ~21 degree plato, then lager it for about 5-6 months!

:mug:

Thanks, I only primary ferment then transfer to a Co2 flushed keg(fill right to top with starsan then hook Co2 up and push the starsan out). 50F is what i ferment most of my lagers at, Ive only attempted 7 now. The first was a butter bomb, the second was decent and so on. I will say i am more confident with brewing Lagers now with the temp control and yeast starters. my other chamber could only maintain 57F not cold enough for the yeast i use, my personal opinion. my new one will maintain 33F.

Back