Doppelbock beer flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slvrstang

Reaction score
I recently made a batch of Northern Brewer's DoppelBock. I altered the recipe by using WLP810 San Francisco yeast instead of a more traditional lager yeast as I don't have the means to keep a constant temperature or a fridge. I overboiled and ended up with ~4 gallons instead of 5 and thus had a really high OG of 1.110. I used a 2L starter and according to beersmith this diluted the beer to 1.102. It's been about 2.5 weeks and the beer has really slowed down and it's around 1.036. I tasted the last hydro sample and besides being really sugary still, it's really really spicy.

I want to know what could cause this. This was the first batch where I did decoction mashing and did steps at 122, 149, 158 and 170.

Here is the ingredient list:
8lbs German Munich
5lbs German Vienna
2.5lbs Dark Munich Malt
0.5lbs Caramunich II

1oz Perle(60m)

What was your fermentation temp? SF Lager in my experience throws a lot of fruit above say 65.

That could throw a bit of that, a 2L starter is quite a bit of an underpitch which probably contributed to your problem.

Back