Don't Throw that Beer Out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlondIrishGuy

Reaction score
Back in February I brewed an oatmeal stout that I had planned to have on St. Patricks day. Fast forward to last night... For various reasons: School, business trips, pleasure trips, honey-do lists, etc... I never got around to bottling the stuff. Mrs. BlondIrishGuy says to me last night, "Hey Honey, are you ever going to bottle that beer downstairs?"

So last night I ran 2 cases of bottles through the dishwasher after dinner, brought up the 6 gallon bucket and cracked it open and to my plesant surprise, it looked and smelled great. :ban:

99 days in the primary fermenter! :rockin:

After Mrs. BlondIrishGuy bottled 48 bottles and I capped them there was a little left in the bottom of the bottling bucket, so I tried a sample and it was encouraging. I'm pretty stoked now. I've got to get to brewing some more beer to keep my mind off the waiting. I think this is going to be some pretty good beer.

That is usually how it goes. Congrats bro. I would recommend you get a second bucket and get your pipe line full. One batch is not going to last very long IMHO.

That is usually how it goes. Congrats bro. I would recommend you get a second bucket and get your pipe line full. One batch is not going to last very long IMHO.

I've got two fermenters open right now, so it's off to the LBS on Saturday morning. I think I am also buying a big SS pot, a propane burner, an imersion chiller and starting full boils on the next batches.

There are so many great stories about nearly dumped beer that turned out awsome after some time. I know HBT saved one of the best beers I've ever made. Last October I made a russian imperial stout and thought it would be interesting to try a highly hopped version. After 3 weeks in primary and 2 months in secondary I kegged it. I tapped the keg in February and it wasn't good. The hops didn't play nice with the malt or roastiness and it was not very drinkable. Fast forward to today, the hop character has faded significantly leaving a delicious, heavy, roasty, chocolaty RIS that get's raves from all my dark beer loving friends. It's taken over 6 months to get there but it's finally a good beer. Sad thing is that the last glass will probably be the best. I bottled 4 bombers and a six pack of 12oz bottles to age and see what happens. Moral of the story...DON'T DUMP IT! Give it some time and you may be surprised.

Back