Don't store vittles vault upside down!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enthuzed

Reaction score
I store my grain outside all year, no issues, ever, for years. I was sick of having the top lid fill up with water and get nasty. I researched online and it seemed to be ok to store these upside down.

WRONG (If you store these outside)!!! I have the 50 lb containers

When I went to brew today I flipped it over and opened it and the whole top portion of my 2 row was soaking wet! I scooped out all the wet grain and even more. Hopefully it didn't completely ruin the rest of my grain. Because this was a brand new 50 lb sack in this container. By the way this was the same for both of my containers...

Hopefully this will deter people from storing these things upside down.

91iwollzuTL._SL1500_.jpg

Did you have the lid down flat, or down at a 45deg angle?
(Not that it should have leaked, regardless.)

Did you have the lid down flat, or down at a 45deg angle?
(Not that it should have leaked, regardless.)

It was flat, flipped over 180 degrees.

I hope this is a lesson for all who may search this topic online...

It was flat, flipped over 180 degrees.

I hope this is a lesson for all who may search this topic online...

OK. I ask because it seems there are multiple types of vittles vault. I have the kind where the lid is at a 45deg angle when stacked the 'official' way.
If you could post a link or picture to the kind you have (the ones that open flat on top?), it might be useful.

They are supposed to be air tight with that gasket, but if it leaked upside down, it would probably have leaked moist air inside as well. I don't think I'd store grain outside in any kind of container.

Cool and dry is the best way, so I would say storing outside is not a great idea in the first place. I then wonder how the water got inside. They should seal tight. And I would think they would stay sealed upside down unless there was some distortion of shape due to being upside down.

Ideally they would be stored inside, but I moved to a smaller apt with not so much indoor space...

.. I then wonder how the water got inside. They should seal tight. And I would think they would stay sealed upside down unless there was some distortion of shape due to being upside down.

It is definitely from the weight of whatever is in the storage container on the gasket lid creating a small gap to allow moisture in. With them standing upright there is no issue of the gasket being crushed and deformed.

There is supposed to be an O-ring in there and you screw in the lid tight enough to compress the O-ring. Having grain weight on the lid shouldn't result the O-ring becoming loose (I don't think - anything possible I suppose). I have had the O-ring fall out of the lid without any one noticing it. Is it possible that that is what happened here?

I would go with storing beer grains outside being an overall bad idea regardless..I would at least keep the grain container within something that is covered(shade)or in a garage of some sort to keep it out of the direct line of fire with regards to mother nature.

So there was never any evidence of moisture intrusion before this? Its weird to think that there would have been no warning, and the BAM! water everywhere.

It is definitely from the weight of whatever is in the storage container on the gasket lid creating a small gap to allow moisture in. With them standing upright there is no issue of the gasket being crushed and deformed.

More reason to go with just 5 gallon buckets and Gamma Lids. I get buckets at a local dairy for $1.50. And store then under cover, inside is best.

So there was never any evidence of moisture intrusion before this? Its weird to think that there would have been no warning, and the BAM! water everywhere.

Not at all. Stored outside normal side up for over a year, seriously no issues whatsoever.

There is supposed to be an O-ring in there and you screw in the lid tight enough to compress the O-ring. Having grain weight on the lid shouldn't result the O-ring becoming loose (I don't think - anything possible I suppose). I have had the O-ring fall out of the lid without any one noticing it. Is it possible that that is what happened here?

Might have displaced it a little, but not too sure. As it happened with both containers my theory is that they simply don't like to be stored upside down.

I would go with storing beer grains outside being an overall bad idea regardless..I would at least keep the grain container within something that is covered(shade)or in a garage of some sort to keep it out of the direct line of fire with regards to mother nature.

All grain brewing in small apartment problems...

Back