Dont eat the hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlaterS

Reaction score
So last night i had some friends over to learn them the ways of home brewing. We all got in the RDWHAHB state of mind, but i think we had a bit to many home brews. I had a bunch of left over hop pellets, and my buddy wondered what they would taste like. Not the taste of a hop pellet (singular), but hop pellets (plural). Needless to say he exhausted pretty much all my brew just to get the taste of grassy processed hop pellet out of his mouth and throat...

I think his body is paying for it today with all that home brew... sadly so is my ability to smell... if he farts one more time in the office im going to make him work outside in the snow...:mad:

comon' it's not snowing hard enough right now for that :p

bad.... eye.... dear...

They taste good. I have never eaten a handful but I have chewed on a few whole leaf hops before and eaten a pellet or two lol.

Been there done that....never again. I think we tasted about 3 pellets each though, nowhere neara half ounce...yous guys crazy!

Live and Learn

Only once. OSU had some 19.8% AA pellets at a Portland brew fest. I'm glad I had done most of my sampling already and was on my way over to the Brew Crew booth for a shift.

Yeah I can't imagine eating that many. They are overbearingly bitter and spicy to me, and it only took me one or two pellets to figure that out. :)

I pop a pellet with every new varietal I try. And, I offer to whomever I am teaching to try one with caveat. They never refuse.

More than one is crazy tho'.

I pop a pellet with every new varietal I try. And, I offer to whomever I am teaching to try one with caveat. They never refuse.

More than one is crazy tho'.

+1 most brewing days, a pellet or two are consumed. A small pinch of grain (tastes like grape nuts!), and when I was extract brewing, a lick of the cap or dme bag! (tastes like Whoppers minus the chocolate!)

Okay, haven't tasted the yeast, yet...:D

+1 most brewing days, a pellet or two are consumed. A small pinch of grain (tastes like grape nuts!), and when I was extract brewing, a lick of the cap or dme bag! (tastes like Whoppers minus the chocolate!)

Okay, haven't tasted the yeast, yet...:D

I follow the same diet on brew day and try to have at least 1 of each type of hop that I'm using. The Pliny clone day was pretty rough...

Back