Don't dump spent grains down garbage disposal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, there are some gene pools that needed chlorine, lol. Idiots, and I know they were too grossed out and lazy to get them out of the drain, so they "pretend" it wasn't them. Eye protection should be a prerequisite for turning on that "light" switch, lol. IMHO, BAD IDEA to put any switch next to your sink (that isn't specifically labeled as such) that ISN'T a garbage disposal switch. Live and learn... live and learn.... ;)

And....if you just HAVE to use your disposal, do it slowly. They clog when people stuff entire loads and then turn on the water...
Turn on the water first, then slowly feed the disposal with the waste - no clogs!

(I compost my grains! :D)

I learned this the hard way today after accidentally tipping my grain bag out. Really stressed out my brew day, plunger didn't work, I was plunging and the air was going up the stack, snake didn't work, pulled out 5-6 cores but I think it replugged every time I went to drain it again, finally some good old fashioned lye worked after 1/2 hour or so, running better than ever.

It worked for a while, until I got a major clog.

I've been able to remove such clogs in the past with a simple plunger, however the last one was really stubborn.

I was frustrated and a bit drunk, and the plunging wasn't working.

OK, now I'm getting really pissed off. I tightened my grip on the plunger handle, rose up on my toes, and gave three hard plunges.

One....two...three!

And then, on the that third hard plunge, the PVC coupling at the P-trap under the sink split open, resulting in a shower of spent grain and water that absolutely exploded under the sink.

I'll take my spent grains over to my buddies compost pile from now on. :D

Christ...what a friggin' mess.

i had the same thing happen to me, only it was with hops and spent yeast from my secondary

Hm.

Guess I have a lot of faith in mine. At 1hp, it's strong enough to rattle the whole kitchen floor if it's unhappy. It's been fed approaching 100# (wet weight) and keeps trucking along as long as I understand it's limitations and keep the cold water a'flowin.

Might have to re-think this strategy.

Back