Composing spent grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And1129

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm sure there's been a lot of discussion about what people do with spend grains, but i'm specifically asking about composting here. After every brew I dump my spent grains in a corner of my yard in a nice big conical pile. I figured they would decay on their own and we could use it as good garden compost. Problem is, each time I dump fresh grains on the pile, it gets larger and never seems to get any smaller. I for one like the mute monument to brews past, and I like to watch the birds and squirls come to feast on it, but my SWMBO is getting mad that it's not only still there but is quite obviously growing by the month. She says I need to throw it all away in the garbage or I need to learn how to compost it correctly...

So what can I do to my grain pile to encourage it to break down and be of better use as garden compost?

I'm actually looking into starting a compost heap this spring as well. Actually, I'm looking at making a tumbler, but whatever. Anyway...

You can buy compost starters to mix in with your grains, as well as adding fruit/vegetable scraps from the kitchen, leaves from the lawn, etc. Make sure you toss it from time to time (aeration?). I've had the same problem where my grains just sit there, eventually scorching the ground, but otherwise not breaking down.

I've seen a few books out there, and with spring coming around I'm sure all your local book stores, garden stores, and home improvement stores will have books on starting a compost pile. Or Amazon. Or free articles online.

I've never tried to compost grain, but the two biggest keys to a successful compost is air and moisture. If you don't turn the pile to expose it to air and mix the moisture in, the particles of the pile actually start to act as a preservative. As they settle, they start to seal off any access of air or moisture to the the center. I've heard stories of people who work at landfills start to move an old pile, and they find newspapers that are 150 years old that are perfectly preserved and readable, because the constant addition sealed them off hermetically. I bet if you dug to the bottom of your pile now you'd find crisp, dry grain hulls that look like you just crushed them.

Get a pitchfork and poke the bugger. Upset it once a month. I think the best thing to do would be to stir it all and upset it everytime you add the fresh, moist, warm grain.

I put mine in the compost pile as well. the grain does not compost quickly like food . you would be better served to dig a hole use the dirt to build up the sides . Put all your kitchen scraps and leaves in it and mix . you need to keep oxygen in there . Shovel it around every few weeks . Add in some horse manure . People generally give it away for free if you go load it . This works very well to kick off the composting . Just grains are going to simply dry up and sit there for a very long time as they are tough. Just like a seed will sit around forever.
you also need a little water in compost once in a while . do not flood it but spray it and shovel it under just enough to keep it damp. This makes it get hot. remember composting requires dead , like your grains, and green like food scraps and grass clipping s to work and be beneficial to your garden

You need to mix in more than just grain. you want a balance of carbon and nitrogen in a good compost heap along with the correct amount of air and moisture. get some lawn clippings, shredded paper, kitchen scraps and a sack of commercial compost and stir it all up. The bad news is that it's going to smell REALLY REALLY BAD at this point because the grains in the middle of that pile have been growing anaerobic bacteria this whole time and they smell like poop.

So, get all your stuff together, put on some dirty clothes and a mask and grab a shovel and start mixing.

a good, low effort option for spent grain composting is sheet composting. this is just spreading the grain out on your lawn or garden in a thin (2-3 inches max) layer. it will act as much and as it breaks down it will create nice rich soil with no smell or fuss.

I compost regularly. Two ways. Turn it into some dirt and every few days-weeks?- turn it again. Or Japanese method, start a trench and slowly mix it in as you increase its lengh over time. Go however long your yard permits, then you can start over in same spot. Right now, I am just turning mine into my garden spot. Ya, I take a minor nitrogen hit as it breaks down, but it's ability to add moisture into the soil is a win for me. No way would I put something so good into the trash! Just get some dirt mixed with it and the worms will do the rest. All the starters do is supply the enzymes needed, already in the dirt, make sure the pile gets enough air or you get rot smell.

I dont know what kind of volume your talking about , but if its high, or even if its low you might consider calling the local farmer and ask him to take it away. If its high volume they will even pay you for it. If its low volume they they will just take it away for you for free. Farmers use it as feed for their cattle.

Spent grains also make good doggy biscuits btw.

Here you go.....
http://www.gardeners.com/All-About-Composting/5061,default,pg.html
about halfway down..."How Compost Happens"

Also pay attention to the right sidebar referring to 'brown' and 'green' ingredients

I have had a pile for years, it doesn't stink. Is there some odor? Well, yeah, stuff is decaying, but you can mitigate some of it by putting new grass/leaves/soil/compost on top.

The bad news is that it's going to smell REALLY REALLY BAD at this point because the grains in the middle of that pile have been growing anaerobic bacteria this whole time and they smell like poop.

This is soooooo true. I think the issue here is we're equating spent grain (husk, cellulose) with crushed grain (starch, sugar, etc). Spent grain is a favorite of my horses, but they essentially steal any leftover sugar and poop the husks back out. The good part is the bacteria in their stomach does some of the smell work inside their gut. I say some - cause horses are seriously flatulent :ban:

Best bet as others have offered is to really cut your grain in a sand/soil mix that also has other yard waste (i.e. grass clipping, wood debris, etc.). Keep it piled, turn it over periodically, and keep it moist and you'll have soil in no time. Getting the proper mix of N2, and O2 is critical for a good compost.

But yeah - stinks like pooo. :p

I throw mine in the compost pile with all the yard waste and sometimes stuff from the kitchen. It builds a little during the spring and fall when I brew the most, but it does break down. This year I am going to sift it and work on repairing my front yard which has gone to the weeds.

My mostly spent grain compost pile was smelling soooo bad I had to move it to spare my neighbors. I wasn't turning often it or putting enough soil in it. Also it hard to turn it when its -20. I use it to feed my hops, which seems fitting. I have 2 nice sized gardens, composting is really good for them. My buddies at Fitgers Brewhouse in Duluth bought some Scottish Highland cattle and use spent grain to fatten them up. Then make yummy hamburgers out of them for their restaurants. Clever.

Here you go.....
http://www.gardeners.com/All-About-Composting/5061,default,pg.html
about halfway down..."How Compost Happens"

Also pay attention to the right sidebar referring to 'brown' and 'green' ingredients

I have had a pile for years, it doesn't stink. Is there some odor? Well, yeah, stuff is decaying, but you can mitigate some of it by putting new grass/leaves/soil/compost on top.

I agree, a well tended pile doesn't smell bad at all. but a pile of spent grain sitting in the corner of the yard unattended for a couple days sure does.

As mentioned you need a balance of Carbon type materials and Nitrogen type materials. Guessing grains would be classed as high in carbon, grass cuttings would be high in nitrogen. It also helps to keep it together and in a large enough amount that the heat generated can be retained and help get the microbes working quickly. Also needs mositure and air to keep it aerobic.

I use whats called a New Zealand hot box which is easy to make and keeps things organised
http://greenactioncentre.ca/content/single-wood-bin/

I have two together but will probably add a third, that way I have colllecting material, one actively working and with finished compost ready to use. You'll speed everything up by turning regularly. Mixing the two types of materials and regular truning you'd be surprised how quickly it will compost down.

My mostly spent grain compost pile was smelling soooo bad I had to move it to spare my neighbors. I wasn't turning often it or putting enough soil in it. Also it hard to turn it when its -20. I use it to feed my hops, which seems fitting. I have 2 nice sized gardens, composting is really good for them. My buddies at Fitgers Brewhouse in Duluth bought some Scottish Highland cattle and use spent grain to fatten them up. Then make yummy hamburgers out of them for their restaurants. Clever.

I've had those burgers at Fitgers and yes they are extremely yummy! As is the beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Depending on the volume of grains involved and the size of the garden it would seem to me that they could be just tilled into the soil and let them rot there.

Latest posts

Back