Don't buy Millar's Mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt456

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post. I've been all grain brewing now for about two years so I am still acquiring new equipment. Like most home brewers I do not have a bottomless supply of funding. So through reading many different posts on here as well as speaking with some friends that are into home brewing I decided to purchase a Millars Mill for my grain mill. I called the company to place my order they were just changing their model to their second version so they were waiting for stock. I pre-ordered and after about a months time is showed up at my door. I can be a little impatient so I ordered my grains pre-crushed while I was waiting for my new mill so I could get going with my summer batches.

I just had my first opportunity about 2 weeks ago to put my mill to the test and it was junk. First I found out that they assembled it backwards, the hopper was upside down the mill is designed to run one way and they put the mounts for the hopper on wrong. This was my first issue, I then attempted to hand tighten my adjustment screw for the space between the rollers, and adjustment screw broke clean off while hand tightening and the other screw was bent and would not even go into the hole. In short the mill is about a 5lb paper weight. ( I borrowed a friends to finish my brew day)

I contacted the company with this issue, right away the gentleman I spoke with said well that sounds like a shipping issue not a manufacturer's issue. Hmm, so having it assembled wrong is not a manufactures issue? They offered to have me pay for shipping there and back to correct the issue which to be honest cost more then a new mill (Which eventually I will purchase from another company). Fortunately I have some very mechanical friends that enjoy good beer so I can trade beer for their assistance in fixing this issue. But for those looking to purchase a new mill I advise go with another company aside from Millars Mills. I have had nothing but issues and I don't want to see anyone else getting screwed the way I did.

Cheers

Wow sorry to hear. I have a Millars Mill and have never had any issues at all going on 4+ years. Best mill I’ve ever owned....

Millar was my first and only mill. I've brewed well over 100 all grain recipes and it has performed better than expected. I used to check the gap before every brew and found it a waste of time. Their cam design for adjusting the gap can get lopsided but usually from handling or dropping. I just ground 7 pounds of rye and ran into a problem. Not sure if it was the rye or if was just time. The bearing on the handle side seized and needs replacing. The rollers were covered in flour and would no longer roll.

Back