Doing Welch's Grape Juice 1st time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

israelj

Reaction score
Started a 5 gal of Welch's Peach Wine.

I'm including some of the things I went through before I got to this forum, so be merciful. I'm sure I'll be racked a bit, but maybe 1st timers can learn from my mistakes. I cook and usually hit some very difficult recipes right out of the gate, but this one was more complex, mostly because the videos on this or explanations seem to vary so much.

I found this recipe as a step-by-step guide for newbies which I am currently using, hopefully it's ok to post it here: http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=5941&st=0&p=69805&#entry69805. Thank you WineThief.

I'm on day 6 of fermentation and the airlock is still bubbling-too much sugar was used, so don't just put in 13 cans of concentrate and 5lbs of sugar... make sure to start at around 3lbs (put the sugar in the right amount of boiling water first to make a syrup) and check your hydrometer after this before adding more.

My first batch turned into rocket fuel. In this case a drone flew by and sensed the high alcohol content from the massive amount of sugar I used and NASA offered me a good price to buy it, so it's going to the space effort now.

It smelled great to start but then smelled like something I’ve never ran into before in life, so I tossed it. I only had 3 cans of Welch's white in it so I figured it wasn't going to taste good anyway, I also used a half gallon of Dragon Fruit Mango juice.

I did not start out with a hydrometer, and watched a Mixcat Youtube video that they didn't finish on how to do the wine at home. They used a bucket and basically threw it all together. The last video must be in the ether somewhere, I probably missed it, they have lot's of videos. Fortunately it led me to this forum where they have been very helpful. The things I am mentioning are only to give perspective so others that are new can learn from my experiences.

I see where Yoopers and Arpolis (both a great help in this) have their own recipes for whites. I needed to see it all at once, but Arpolis has a non-sugar recipe that I used part of in this batch. Some of us need the "pick up the bucket, put it down over here" military training style approach to this.

IT PAYS TO START WITH THE BARE MINIMUM PIECES. You can make prison brew, but I don't know how good that comes out (using whatever is lying around).

Some use 1-gallon glass bottles (mini-carboys?) for this and put the recipe in 1-gallon format, you just multiply everything except the yeast by 5. Yeast can make from 1 to 6 gallons, and if you don't use it all make sure to seal it up real good to keep it from getting contaminated (there is natural yeast all around us) or moist. Also, always keep it refrigerated or it will die.

Remember-you’ve got to have wine bottles to bottle wine. I keep our old bottles and wash and sanitize them. I figure wine bottles are 750 milliliters so I gathered 24 of them; hopefully I did the math right. You can place them in the wine cardboard boxes until needed, but clean them after use so they aren't more difficult in the future to clean. After washing them out (use a bottle brush $3) I dunked them into the Star San bucket with a kabob rod and left for a few minutes then took them out and inverted them, and let them dry.

You can get corks off of amazon they definitely were cheaper than the brew store in this case. I got 30; you can get up to 100 easily.

I paid $27 for a corking machine-imagine what they used before they had the machines... Amazon as well. Portuguese Double Lever Corker Just look it up if the link doesn't work anymore, there are plenty to choose from.

You can get clear 1/2 inch tubing for when you have to rack the wine (put it into the carboy, the 5 gal bottle-necked glass or blue plastic container)-I found it at Home Depot but a hardware store would have it. I sanitized it well, some will say to use food-grade plastic instead.

Try to use a 5-gallon glass carboy if possible; I had 4 blue plastic food grade water carboys so I used them instead of reinvesting in glass. The plastic are really difficult to seal and the rubber inserts don't seal well in them-this will frustrate you and add to the time to do all of this. I used a special tape for sealing around the blue lid. (Remember to get the rubber grommets from the hydro store that allows an airtight seal to your airlock).

Two main types of airlocks: one curvy looking thing, one that looks like two upside down cups-either one works fine, but I like the upside down cup version. (that's newbiezze) $2.50 ea. IMPORTANT, don't skip it.

Long stir spoon. You have to sanitize this so make sure it's either the metal stainless spoon they sell at the brew store or the plastic/Teflon. There is also a stirring rod that is fantastic, you can find it on amazon as well: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EKKOEOE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 or just look up "wine Stirrer" I would definitely get one of these, they hook to your drill and make life so much easier. This also helps when degassing (getting the CO2 out of your must).

Try to get something to measure the temperature; I have a turkey oil fryer that came with a long end that I put into good use.

Tips to know before starting:

Try to keep all temperatures consistent as possible. However, I saw one article that stated you could start the yeast at a higher temperature, then put it around 60 degrees or so to keep the fermenting slower... that would only take a day at the higher temperature to start the yeast, and mine started well at 74 degrees, but didn't start well at 70 degrees (I used two different types of yeast and they both took a day to start, have patience).

By the way-have patience.

http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=5941&st=0&p=69805&#entry69805
Refer to the recipe listed above for step-by-step guidelines.

Keep the yeast pitching (read the directions on the yeast packet for this) close to the temperature of the must ("must" is what you are making before it becomes wine)

It's fairly cheap to get the chemicals for this (well, they are chemicals). I went to the brew store, which usually handles beer, but many things seem to be similar, they keep the yeasts there in the frig as well.

Lavlin 71b-1122 yeast 1 packet, but buy 2 just in case $2 each
pectic enzyme 1 small packet (1oz)
Yeast Superfood (came in 2oz packet) $3
Potassium Metabisulfite (2oz foil packet) under $3
Sparkolloid 2oz packet-may not be necessary but pick it up anyway and save a trip

Explanations (brief) here for these:

Lavlin 71b-1122 yeast-you can look it up here: http://www.lalvinyeast.com/71B.asp It is good for White Wine fermenting and several people recommended it for this project.

pectic enzyme Here's a quote from lockwood1956:
"Pectolase helps to extract colour and flavour as well as getting rid of pectin hazes. Generally one would add 1 tsp per gallon, but if using it in wines with ingredients high in pectin content or if there was warm or hot water used in processing, then double the dosage"

Yeast Superfood (feeds the yeast)

Potassium Metabisulfite (camdon tablets, or so they tell me) Here is the Wiki explanation for why it's used: "Potassium metabisulfite is a common wine or must additive, in which it forms sulfur dioxide gas (SO2). This both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as a potent antioxidant, protecting both the color and delicate flavors of wine." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_metabisulfite

"Potassium Sorbate" or just called Sorbate for short some times. That is added along with potassium metabisulfate after fermentation ends and the wine is clear so you can safely add sugar to a wine without fermentation picking back up. It is usually good to wait 12 hours after adding the chemicals before adding any sugar or additional fruits/juices. (thank you Arpolis)

and I picked up some Sparkolloid in case it needed it for clearing (literally, making the wine clear) You add this at a very specific time in the step-by-step

Using:

5 gal bucket, I drilled a hole in the top to accommodate a grommet I found at the local hydroponics shop. The plastic top is rated a "2" but I looked at the tops at the brew store and they were rated the same.

Sanitized the daylights out of everything possible using Star San. I picked up the Star San from the local Brew store, amazon has it as well, but by the time you add shipping it was the same and I could pick up several items I needed for the brew locally-they would not come from the same place and I would have been charged shipping for all of it-why not give it locally and support small business? I keep a 5 gal mostly full of the Star San to re-use as I need it in the process. I've seen tests on Youtube that say it's ok to keep it for a while (waiting for my amazon purchased ph meter to verify it keeps it's ph $10 on amazon http://www.amazon.com) or look up "ph meter". I don't think the expensive ones work any different than the $15 one, but it's your money. I think the accuracy is in the ballpark for what's needed here to start at least.

I used something I found on Youtube-someone took an aquarium airpump (I had one for another clean project I did for hydroponics, and I made sure to Star San everything really well) and I have two "stones" at the end-I only had to oxygenate with this twice and the yeast started without having to repitch (phew). Such a relief to see it working. I usually do good on projects for cooking that are harder, right off, but this has been more of a challenge. It's not going super hard, but it's good to see it going.

Making plenty of mistakes along the way-freaked out more than once by things like yeast not working right off (it started the next day after aerating). The acid on everything freaks you out as well, but that's not a problem because Star San is non-rinse right? I made sure to sanitize my stirring stick-which, by the way, turned out to be harder to find than I realized. I did not want a stainless long-spoon, I wanted a Teflon or plastic restaurant spoon, but have not been able to locate one either here or on amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
From: http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=5941&st=0&p=69805&#entry69805

WineTheif:

John,
For a very nice chardonnay type wine, you would want to put the french toasted oak in with the welchs frozen 100% white grape (don't get the White Grape Cocktail).. I have made the White grape/Peach several times and it comes out great, very peachy and smells wonderful. But It is better sweetened up a bit and not oaked.. I have also made wine from most of the Welchs and Old Orchard juices. They are quick, easy to make and taste pretty good all in all.

Here is my recipe I use for frozen juices and it comes out great. You can use it with any of the Welchs 100% frozen juices or the Old Orchard 100% Juices.
Frozen Welchs Grape Juice Concentrates make a very nice table or social wine, and are very easy to make.
Some of the welchs brands are:
Concord 100% Grape Juice
White Niagara 100% Grape Juice
100% White Grape Raspberry Juice (if you make the Raspberry use ONLY 2 cans per gallon otherwise it can be very tart. Also if you make the raspberry I would advise keeping the starting SG to 1.080. Also, only use 1 tsp of acid blend with the raspberry)
100% White Grape Cranberry Juice
100% White Grape Peach Juice
100% White Grape Pear Juice

Old Orchard also has lots of different flavors of 100% juice that work just as well. They usually mix their flavors with apple juice instead of white grape, like their Apple/Cherry,
Passion/Mango,
Kiwi/Strawberry
and other 100% juice concentrates.

The below recipe makes one gallon, you can multiply to make more. I use 3 cans per gallon for a heavier bodied wine but you can use 2 cans per gallon to make a medium bodied wine if you like but if you use only 2 cans you will need to increase the starting sugar to about 1 lb per gallon.

The beginning sugar addition to the 3 can recipe only starts at 1/2lb per gallon due to the different levels of starting sugar already in the different juices. Once the must is mixed up check SG and add enough sugar syrup to bring SG to between 1.080 to 1.090.

Recipe for Welch's Frozen 100% Grape Juice Wine
3 11.5 oz cans Welchs or Old Orchard 100% frozen juice concentrate (only 2 cans if making raspberry)
1 lbs granulated sugar to start then test SG and adjust to 1.080 to 1.090
2 tsp acid blend (or if possible test and add acid blend to TA .60)
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2-tsp bentonite (only if you will be doing the fast clear method)
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast - (Red Star Cote des Blanc or Premier Cuvee)

1- campden tablet to be added later
1/2-tsp potassium sorbate to be added later before sweeting

If you will be doing the Fast Clear method start on step 1.
If you will be doing the Natural clear method skip the bentonite & start on step 2

1. For fast clear method, add 4 cups hot water to bottom of sanitized primary. While stirring the water slowly sprinkle the bentonite into the water. Continue to stir for 30 seconds to ensure complete dispersal making sure to break up any clumps.
2. Open and stir in all the cans of Welch's Juice to primary. rinse cans with a small amount of warm water and add to primary.
3. Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and stir into primary with the frozen concentrate.
4. Add additional cool water to make one gallon. (If you are adding oak chips add them now approx 1/2 oz per gallon toasted oak.)
5 . Check and Adjust sugar if necessary to an SG of 1.085 to 1.090.
6. Add the acid blend, or if possible test acid and adjust to .60 TA
7. When cooled to room temp, (70-75F) add pectic enzyme and nutrient.
8. 12 hours later add Yeast.
9. When SG drops to 1.010 rack to clean sanitized carboy.
10. Allow to finish fermentation in the carboy for 2 weeks to 1 month until the SG is stable at around .990-.995. Make sure all fermentation is finished.

For Natural Clearing
11. From here it is up to you you can follow the natural clearing process by carefully racking the wine off the gross lees to a clean sanitized carboy. Stabilize by Stirring 1 campden tablet per gallon and 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate per gallon into 1/4 cup of cool water and add to the carboy that the wine is being racked into. Then, stir the wine vigorously for 3-4 minutes to help degass the wine, wait 5 minutes and stir again VIGOROUSLY for another 3-4 minutes. Then top up and rack every 30-60 days (You don't usually need to add any further campdens or potassium metabisulphite to this wine because welchs does come with SO2 added and is usually sufficient to protect the wine for many years... I only add it at the stabilizing stage) After 6 months if wine is clear, taste to determine if you want or need to sweeten.. If sweetening is desired add sugar syrup to sweeten to taste and allow to sit another 30-60 days then rack off sediment or filter the wine into a clean sanitized carboy.. Let sit for another 30 to 60 days and if completely clear you can bottle.. This process takes 8-12 months give or take.

Fast Clear Method, for quicker bottling and consumption this juice will respond well if you treat it just like a winekit
11. Do not rack at this time leave sediment. Stabilize by stirring 1 campden tablet per gallon and 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate per gallon into 1/4 cup of cool water and add to the carboy of wine. Stir the wine vigorously for 3-4 minutes to help degass the wine, use a Fiz-X and VacuVin if you have them. Wait 5 minutes then Stir again VIGOROUSLY for another 3-4 minutes. Repeat several more times if necessary, it is important to completely degass your wine before moving to the clearing stage. Then add the recommended amount of Sparkloid (follow the instructions that come with the package) (Super Kleer will also work, but I like sparkloid for welchs wines) and stir again vigorously for another 2-3 minutes to degass and drive off the CO2. (You don't usually need to add any further campdens or potassium metabisulphite to this wine because welchs does come with SO2 added and is usually sufficient to protect the wine for many years... I only add it at the stabilizing stage) Then top up and allow to clear for 2 weeks.. When clear rack to a clean carboy and let stand for 30 days.. After 30 days taste to determine if you want or need to sweeten.. If sweetening is desired add sugar syrup to taste and allow to sit another 30 days. When the second 30 days is past either rack or filter the wine into a clean sanitized carboy.. Let sit for 2 weeks and bottle.. This faster method will put the wine in the bottle in 90 days..

I am making an Old Orchard Apple/Passion/Mango that smells wonderful.. I think it will come out great.. We will have to wait and see..

Terry

Glad it turned out well. I always keep Welche's white grape peach available. I still have 5-6 wine bottles full of a sparkling white grape peach. I may need to get started on another batch soon.

I had to get the wenches bottles, they don't seem to have the white grape concentrate available anymore. The only problem I had with it is they add sulfites and "natural favors".

I know what you mean. Around me almost all the stores no longer stock white grape peach concentrate but there is one Wherhouse Market that orders a small amount of stock of the stuff and I clean them out once every 6 months or so.

I know what you mean. Around me almost all the stores no longer stock white grape peach concentrate but there is one Wherhouse Market that orders a small amount of stock of the stuff and I clean them out once every 6 months or so.
Intereresting, thought it was just my local grocers didn't stock the concentrate anymore....hmmmmm...Yeah, my wife loves my sparkling white grape/peach....have the ingredients for another batch of it, just waiting on a free fermentor (Have almost 25 gallons of various stuff in various stages of developement.....my wife does not like half of what I have in carboys/jugs, wants the peach....LOL....I have a mango that's near ready to bottle, she does like that, hopefully it will bottle carb, as it's only around 10% and I used 1116....we shall se....she love sparkling mead, and when she's happy, I'm happy :) )

You said it... I have two fives of the white grape peach mix going and another 3 in that chocolate orange port. The port is just now starting to smell good, prob has another 6 to go...

Do you guys see any issue with be brewing that at 76-77F and do I need to plan on using enough ingredients to fill up my 8 gallon fermenter if using that as my primary?

That temp range is fine if you use the right yeast. A good easy going yeast with a wide temp range is Lalvin K1v-1116. Don't worry about filling the whole 8 gallon fermenter if you do not want to. While few ting you have CO2 sitting on top of your wine. Just when you rack off of the lees you want to rack into something that will have little headspace. So you can start the batch now and here in 30 days or so get yourself a 5 gallon carboy and rack into that.

I found a very good supply store over in Baton Rouge, LA that had everything I needed. I am going to be using 71B-1122 yeast and purchased a glass 6 gallon and 5 gallon Carboy from the place lower than anywhere on the web. I should be beginning the brew in 1-2 days.

Finishing up my strategy document :) and have 1 final question. If making 5 gallons is the yeast that needs to be use 5 packs?

No one package of yeast is fine. If you ever do a batch and need more yeast. Don't add more packs but rather do a low gravity/high nutrient starter by 2-4 cups up to a liter for bigger batches.

Well it looks like I will be doing some Apple Cherry instead. Can't find any white grape concentrates anywhere around here.

This first batch is in and fermenting. I added the yeast at 8am yesterday morning and this morning the process is fairly intense. What day should I check to see if the level for 1.010 to rack to clean carboy?

You ever used Welch's Black Cherry Concord Grape??? Makes for a fantastic wine:)

It seems I may have made a rookie mistake with the use of Star San :) I rinsed..... This could get interesting. How concerned should I be?

Nose to the grindstone, make it happen... lol. I was doing two things at once while coming up with the latest batch, I ended up putting 5lbs of sugar into each 5, I used 3lbs for the last batch, so, I guess we'll see what will come of that, NASA isn't buying rocket fuel anymore, but Virgin is, and Tesla is getting into it also.

Back