doing an IPA from spare grain...thinking outside the box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptorvan

Reaction score
So i have a bunch of grain, some mixed together and i really want to try an IPA. One is from a mild ale and one is from a stout. Here is what I'm thinking...

7lbs married otter
1lb crystal 80
6oz pale chocolate
8oz carapils

This i think is the best grain set...this is from my mild ale. I'm thinking of bumping the M.O to 8.5lbs and the crystal to 2-2.5lbs as well as maybe another half pound of carapils

I'm going to use a new hop concoction we just got in that has all 7 C hops

Whatcha think? Also, this will be my 4th IPA attempt. All the others sucked. Most had a very strong taste of banana and were pretty thin and the hops didn't work with it very well...what am i doing wrong? I BELIEVE i was smashing around 150 and i don't remember the yeast i used...i think it was just American ale.

Thanks for any input

Sorry if this is abrupt, no offense meant.. I just typed a long reply but it timed out. Here's the short version.

Too much crystal & too high lovibond for IPA in my experience. Some IPA-loving buddies won't drink it with C60, let alone C80. Also, WAAAAAY too much crystal and I don't think the pale Choc will play nicely w/ the FF hops.

My suggestion:
8.5# MO
1# C40
8 oz carapils (if you really wanna)

Mash ~150
@60: 1.3 oz FF hops
@15: 1.3 oz FF hops
@5: 1.4 oz FF hops

Pitch & Ferment mid-60s (to avoid odd banana flavor) preferably after making a starter w/ Cal ale or Pacman, move to room temp at FG, let sit in primary 2-3 weeks, bottle & condition 2-3 weeks, enjoy! Should be a clean, simple malt backbone with bright, citrusy hip flavor & aroma!

EDIT: this is back "inside the box" but I figure you'd like a tasty IPA! I tend to borrow successful recipes first, really learn to nail them, and THEN start tweaking outside the box :). Ymmv.

Well, the point is to use my spare grain. I agree with the chocolate but it MIGHT give it.more complexity...a nice black IPA

7lbs married otter
...what am i doing wrong? I BELIEVE i was smashing around 150

Smashing around 150 otters, married or single, is definitely going to have a negative flavor impact on your beer.:p

Gotta love autocorrect.

Given the grainbill you posted above, you've got something between an APA and American amber ale going on, from both a flavor and color standpoint (best guess, though I haven't figured out the SRM exactly). So if that's what you want, go ahead and brew it up. If you want different characteristics, you're going to need to change the grainbill. I wouldn't add more crystal without adding a similar amount of base malt as well. Trying to make a 20% crystal IPA is one easy way to brew yourself a dumper.

That's grainbill advice (give more detail on what you want if you want more detailed advice). As for banana flavors, it's probably just high pitching or fermenting temperatures, or both. Pith and ferment (wort temps, not ambient) at the middle of the recommended temp range, or lower, and that should clear up. Also, make sure you're using the correct yeast. Take notes, too, so you know what you did in previous brew sessions. Otherwise, you'll never know what changes you need to make.

Assuming you're making 5 gallon batch that'll get you to a pale ale. Bringing up your base malt to 10 or 11 lb should get you in the range of IPA.

OR, if you're looking to liquidate and avoid buying new stuff make a 3.5 gallon batch with around 6lb base malt. I like to keep my crystal (I use C60) around 5%, and if you have any munich you could throw that in the mix. Searching for some black IPA recipes here could help give you an idea on the chocolate and how much.

If you want to stick with the grains listed, I'd suggest you make a Mild. Your ingredients are just about perfect. Mash the original grain bill @154-156, add 1 oz of Fuggles or similar British hops @60 mins, and pitch a British yeast (Notty, London Ale, I used London ESB). It's a great session beer: toasty, hint of chocolate, 4+% ABV.

Smashing around 150 otters, married or single, is definitely going to have a negative flavor impact on your beer.:p

Gotta love autocorrect.

Given the grainbill you posted above, you've got something between an APA and American amber ale going on, from both a flavor and color standpoint (best guess, though I haven't figured out the SRM exactly). So if that's what you want, go ahead and brew it up. If you want different characteristics, you're going to need to change the grainbill. I wouldn't add more crystal without adding a similar amount of base malt as well. Trying to make a 20% crystal IPA is one easy way to brew yourself a dumper.

That's grainbill advice (give more detail on what you want if you want more detailed advice). As for banana flavors, it's probably just high pitching or fermenting temperatures, or both. Pith and ferment (wort temps, not ambient) at the middle of the recommended temp range, or lower, and that should clear up. Also, make sure you're using the correct yeast. Take notes, too, so you know what you did in previous brew sessions. Otherwise, you'll never know what changes you need to make.

Laugh all you want, but otters increase head retention and mouth feel

Back