dogfish head 90 minute IPA partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galensmitty

Reaction score
So,
I made this from a clone recipe in this months BYO. Their starting gravity was 1088, mine was 1085 (I can live with that). I added more yeast than it called for, since it is a high gravity beer. I think it's ready to be racked to the secondary fermenter after only 3 days. krausen has dropped, bubbling has settled down a little, and the gravity is down to 1025. should I wait a couple more days to rack it? or should I go ahead and do it now??
thanks

Wait.

Why do people always want to rack so soon? There's nothing wrong with leaving in the primary for the full week. The yeast are still working, they aren't dead, so autolysis (sp?) isn't an issue for a LONG time. If you take it away from the yeast cake, you're risking a stuck ferment (OK, unlikely), for no benefit.

Patience, grasshopper.

the_bird said:
Wait.

Why do people always want to rack so soon?

Patience, grasshopper.

In my case, I am always eager to rack b/c I want to throw another beer in that primary. I want to brew today, but I technically should not rack out of primary just yet. Also, I don't necessarily want to buy more primary fermenters.

Technically, most of the beers we brew do not even need a secondary vessel. Primary fermentation - bottling bucket/keg is just fine for most styles.

sonvolt said:
In my case, I am always eager to rack b/c I want to throw another beer in that primary. I want to brew today, but I technically should not rack out of primary just yet. Also, I don't necessarily want to buy more primary fermenters.

Technically, most of the beers we brew do not even need a secondary vessel. Primary fermentation - bottling bucket/keg is just fine for most styles.

Isn't one benefit of racking slightly earlier the fact that the fermentation taking place in the secondary will push out all the O2?

sonvolt said:

Buy another bucket / carboy (you can never have enough). I know what you're saying, but a beer like this is not one that you can rush through.

galensmitty said:
So,
I made this from a clone recipe in this months BYO. Their starting gravity was 1088, mine was 1085 (I can live with that). I added more yeast than it called for, since it is a high gravity beer. I think it's ready to be racked to the secondary fermenter after only 3 days. krausen has dropped, bubbling has settled down a little, and the gravity is down to 1025. should I wait a couple more days to rack it? or should I go ahead and do it now??
thanks

That recipe was in this month's issue? I must have missed it!

God, I love that beer. I'm gonna have to look it up

Todd said:
Isn't one benefit of racking slightly earlier the fact that the fermentation taking place in the secondary will push out all the O2?

There's enough in the beer to get a blanket on top. It's not worth racking early just for that reason.

Back