Dog Biscuits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
I have been making dog biscuits out of my spent grain. I am brewing a stout today and wanted to find out if it is ok to make dog biscuits out of the dark malts. Wasn't sure if there was an issue with the dogs on having chocolatey malts.

Doggie Treats

I think you will be ok, but dont make the mistake i did! Dry out your grains just a little, mine came out just a little bit wet, and not dry.

I also found a granola bar recipe and put wet grains in them, these turned out horrible, and funny you mention choclate and dogs, went in to my garage, came back in side and both my pits knocked the full tray on the floor and was munching on all of them. FAIL!

There is no actual chocolate in malts so it's fine - not sure he will like them as much though. I know my dog will eat spent malt I toss in my garden and since he eats poop with no problem I doubt he will notice the burnt flavoring.

BTW - spent malt is VERY VERY good for dogs (and humans actually). Very very BAD for horses.

i've made the dog treats linked above with darn near every style of beer i've brewed. including a few rounds of porter and stout and my dog doesn't seem to discriminate against any of them.

i've made the dog treats linked above with darn near every style of beer i've brewed. including a few rounds of porter and stout and my dog doesn't seem to discriminate against any of them.

Same here. I can taste the difference but the dogs still go crazy for them.

Back