Anyone used sweet potato in a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sallgoodguy

Reaction score
Today's brewday is (maybe) going to be a sweet potato brulee. Interested in hearing everyones experience using sweet potatoes to find out if what I plan will work.

Malt bill is potluck; Munich, crystal 80, biscuit. Hops are just what's on hand... probably Saaz. I plan to slice thin length wise and roast the sweet potatoes so they get a good caramelization. My thought is that roasting will help pull more sugars and preserve the potato flavor better. Thoughts?

Forgot to mention the "brulee" will(hopefully) come from home made invert sugar. Carmelized deeeep brown and yummy.

I had planned on bagging them and adding at about the last 1/2 hour of boil or so. There may have to be an addition in secondary. Time will tell I guess.

Interesting. Wish I had the ability to turn this into a Brulosophy style comparison. This is really an experiment using things I have on hand so no loss really if it doesn't work out. Maybe there will be two brew days for this beer.....

I had planned on bagging them and adding at about the last 1/2 hour of boil or so. There may have to be an addition in secondary. Time will tell I guess.
You're not going to get anything out of them that way, neither from the boil nor secondary.

Similar to using pumpkin in beer, ideally slowly roasted/caramelized in the oven for flavor development, then mashed up and added to your all grain mash for the whole duration. Keep the mash temps on the high side (156-160F), to keep more body.

I used five 14oz cans of pumpkin puree that way, and there was a nice thick mouthfeel, likely due to the dextrins from the pumpkin. Flavorwise, there was no trace of the pumpkin. I made notes to double the amount of pumpkin for the next time.

If you cook a brulee ( I would suggest leaving out cream) most of the enzymes will be denatured and some of the starch pre converted. If you temp control the process to maximize conversion - it would be like two parallel mashes. I think the cutting the potatoes up and mashing with the grain is a much better idea.

Latest posts

Back