Does this look right or infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abndrew82

Reaction score
Is an IPA, the Resilience IPA clone.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190217_180536.jpg
    20190217_180536.jpg
    813.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 20190217_180531.jpg
    20190217_180531.jpg
    878.1 KB · Views: 145
Ooh! Nice looking krausen. Now keep that fermenter closed up until the beer is ready to bottle. It's really rare to get an infection in primary because the conditions in there prohibit the growth of bacteria.

Looks normal.

It's really rare to get an infection in primary because the conditions in there prohibit the growth of bacteria.
This again?
Common bacterial and yeast contaminants like Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, Megasphera, Sacc var diastaticus, other wild sacc strains, Brettanomyces, Pichia, Torulaspora, etc. etc. etc. will happily grow in primary.

All my sours stay in primary.

Looks normal.

This again?
Common bacterial and yeast contaminants like Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, Megasphera, Sacc var diastaticus, other wild sacc strains, Brettanomyces, Pichia, Torulaspora, etc. etc. etc. will happily grow in primary.

All my sours stay in primary.

Oh, so that is why everyone's beer sours? Oh wait, mine don't sour. To get those bacteria to work to make sours you have to inoculate the beer. They just don't infect every beer. The conditions for them to propagate just aren't there in beer.

Oh wait, mine don't sour. To get those bacteria to work to make sours you have to inoculate the beer. They just don't infect every beer. The conditions for them to propagate just aren't there in beer.
Please read carefully to understand what I'm saying.

Most of the time we can prevent contaminants because most problematic organisms won't grow in beer and there's a low probably that they will make their way into your primary fermenter if you are careful.

The notion that beer cannot become contaminated is simply false.
These contaminating organisms are ubiquitous, floating around in the air. They don't need to be intentionally inoculated, all they need is a chance to land in the sweet wort.
A little bad luck is all it takes, especially if someone's cleaning, sanitation, or brewing practices aren't ideal.
Plenty of homebrewers use risky techniques like no boil, no chill, lots of air exposure (lengthy aeration), underpitching (long lag time), poor temperature control (encourages bacteria), poor cleaning methods or even utter lack of cleaning/sanitizing steps, etc.
Telling these brewers that beer can't be contaminated is really not encouraging good sanitation practices.

Just because you and I have been fortunate enough to avoid contamination doesn't mean others are so lucky, especially those that take more risks.

Last edited:
IMHO, brewing outside seems like an insanely risky practice from standpoint of infection but plenty of people brew lots of great beer outdoors. When I tend to get too over-the-top paranoid about sanitation while taking gravity samples or dry-hopping, I always think back to the open vessels used in German breweries to ferment their barely-hopped Hefeweizens, and the whole practice of top cropping to harvest yeast in general. Risks of infection surely do exist, but it doesn't happen as easily as some people like to suggest.

We're all pretty much on the same page.

I just wanted it to be clear that contaminations (bacteria or yeast) are indeed possible and therefore proper sanitation practices should be followed.
:mug:

Edit: I also want to point out that only brewers with poor oxygen practices get the glaring sign of contamination (a pellicle).
Plenty more beers may be contaminated and either the effects are too low to perceive, are written off as quirky yeast behavior, or otherwise go undetected.
Here's a good example:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/wlp029-gone-bad.648042/

Last edited:
Back