Does this look infected?? Lol.. No really...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been soaking some nibs in vodka for a few days now and today I noticed what looked like mold growing on top. I admittedly washed but didn't sterilize the jar since I figured the vodka would do that for me but I guess I was wrong.

Am I looking at something I would not want to put into my beer?

Thanks,

David

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5388_crop.jpg

I would not add anything with waxy bubbles into my beer, ever.

Nothing will ever grow on vodka though. So, either that's a _very_ weak vodka solution, or it's entirely safe. Those are the only two possibilities here.

yeah, scary. I was just reading that it could be air bubble under a waxy/oily film. I have been shaking it up once or twice a say so that kind of makes sense.

Nibs contain a fair amount of stuff in them that maybe leached out into the alcohol. That may be what you are seeing. I don't see anything resembling strings or growth. Just some clumps of bubbly stuff. That makes it hard to determine at this point, so I'd hang on and see where it goes from here.

My vanilla beans caused the same thing. Its probably from the oils and fat. If its in vodka it is highly unlikely that what you are seeing is a spoilage organism.

I never sanitize my jar when I soak either cubes in bourbon or vanilla beans and I've never had an issue. I think what your seein is like others have posted is some of the oils and fats leeching out.

Back