Does this color look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurfChris

Reaction score
Been two weeks, could swear when I switched the blow off tube to the air lock the beer starting getting clearer like after that first week. We'll I went to change the water in the cooler (swamp bucket) just now and the beer is totally opaque and a different color then before, almost murky looking. I can't find any pics of this kit durring stages.

Read about Moss but totally forgot when I started this kit lol, kit didn't mention anything about it. Being in South FL I have it in a swamp bucket in the other bathroom with a towel (now a shirt) wrapped around it. Fermometer got wet and peeled off, so I've been checking the water with my infrared gun and placed a thermometer in the water to make sure. Adding some ice I've had the water around 69-72 or so, though tonight I have the windows open and it's dipping into the 50s at night and like 70 durring day for next couple days.

I know it was way clearer other day when I checked.

cool it down for 2 or 3 days before bottling in the fridge and see what happens. Either way its just a visual thing.

Yeah thats what I figured, was just worried about some infection or something as its hard to see or tell b/c of some of the left over krausen, not the actual krausen ring, but the bits and pieces above that make it kinda fogged up looking. Going to leave it another week, and its cool this week, house is at 68 with windows open. And since its a gallon I was gonna cold crash it in the fridge after since it fits. Just crazy that it look so much clearer the other day, then this lol.

That thick krausen settling would make it look like that. Or after a week, for some reason, it stalled, cleared, then started fermenting again.

Yeah that's the only thing I can think of, that it may have stalled and then cleared and started again. It was active like crazy the first two days then nothing. Looks like from searching it may be the yeast acting back up causing that cloudy look. Air lock doesn't show any bubbles or anything but I know that doesn't mean much. Gonna leave it for another week at least before bottling. This is the Brooklyn brew ipa, kit sat for a year and finally got around to it, did it biab style. Have a ton of trub though, the grain in this kit seemed uneven with a lot of powder. Already planning on a 5 gallon setup now and barley grinder.

Latest posts

Back