Does Starsan promote rust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moeser

Reaction score
I recently (about two months ago) switched from using One-step to Starsan for all of my sanitation needs. Mainly because Starsan is a better sanitizer with less contact time needed.

However, since the change, I've noticed that both of my bottle brushes have a layer of rust on the wire from the brush tip, to about the depth of a bottle (go figure). The rust clearly only covers the parts of the wire that were submerged while cleaning bottles. Is it possible that Starsan contributed to the rust? Or is this maybe a delayed reaction from having used them with One-step in the past? Am I just using crummy bottle brushes?

I haven't tried yet, but am I safe to let Starsan soak in my corny kegs for days at a time? These kegs have also been used with One-step in the past.

+1. I've noticed no rust on any of my items that have been used repeatedly in StarSan. I have seen some discoloration on my bottling brushes. It's not rust, but just a discoloration of the metal. May this be what you are experiencing, or is it rust?

I have rust on some of my bottle brushes. I would not worry about that. Star San is proven safe for long term contact with stainless steel. I think the only thing you need to avoid is teflon.

joety - teflon?

My brewpot and keggle have weldless bulkead kits, both have teflon (yellow) tape on the threads. Star San is going to eat my tape?

Sorry, it appears I am confusing it with PBW. PBW is harmful to teflon coated products as it disolves the binding agent, although it doesn't eat the teflon itself. Therefore, it's safe on our gaskets.

BTW: Does anyone know how long you can keep PBW in solution?

Latest posts

Back