Does squeezing or pressing eliminated need for sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full vine mash, mash out and knowing your volumes should do 80% of the work to get 70%. I do a single crush at my brew shop and start with 8 gallons of water. I twist the bag to hold itself shut and put it on a fridge shelf above the mash/boil and let it drain. My software is set to 70% efficiency and I'm typically +/-0.002 gravity points. I don't see a need to change the simplicity of brew in a bag to include dunk sparge, multiple pots, step mash or anything else. Strike at mash temp, stir to ensure no clumps, let it sit 75 minutes and boil.

This is an incorrect question, as it assumes there is a "need" for sparging, whether BIAB or 3-vessel. For example, technically, you could make a complete beer with a 3-vessel system with the first runnings of a large mash. Many group brews will do just that, first runnings for the high-gravity beer, and sparge and second runnings for a lower gravity brew. There was no "need" to sparge and get the second runnings, it's just there is enough sugar on the grains to pull more useable wort, so they do.

So for BIAB, you don't "need" to sparge anything, but many choose to do so, and they like it. You could also not squeeze. You could sparge AND squeeze. It's up to you.

I think the underlying question is: If I sparge will I get the supposed increase in my efficiency as I think I do from squeezing the grains.
Answer: It depends. Depending on everything, right? You might not actually be getting much more from the squeeze.
With 5 pages of responses to this question, it's obvious lots of people do things lots of different ways.
So the honest answer is, try sparging and try and measure if you get the same expected efficiencies as you do with squeezing or not squeezing. :)

I see efficiency in the upper 70's and up to 80%, squeezing without sparging, so I'm not about to add more process to my days. I may give up squeezing even, and just toss the bag remnants when the boil starts.

Good luck, happy brewing!

Sometimes i squeeze, sometimes still do it, but don't put forth as much effort to be honest.
Maybe I'll try not squeezing

Back