Does Scoby look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrissa

Reaction score
Hi!

im a couple of months into brewing and noticed my acing start to get some white film... does it look ok/ is this normal?

Attachments

• F6AFD1AA-1B75-48B6-ABDB-AE6931354616.jpeg
    F6AFD1AA-1B75-48B6-ABDB-AE6931354616.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
this would better in the kombucha forum. and i'm not a kombucha brewer, but was that a try at spicy kombucha, and you threw a pablano pepper in?

and Welcome! :mug:

Hi!

im a couple of months into brewing and noticed my acing start to get some white film... does it look ok/ is this normal?
I’m not a highly experienced buch brewer, but that white slime not look okay... I hope someone with more expertise will jump in with an opinion.

Also welcome and happy new year!

this would better in the kombucha forum. and i'm not a kombucha brewer, but was that a try at spicy kombucha, and you threw a pablano pepper in?

and Welcome! :mug:
Thank you ! And sadly no but that does sound good =)

I’m not a highly experienced buch brewer, but that white slime not look okay... I hope someone with more expertise will jump in with an opinion.

Also welcome and happy new year!
That's what I was thinking too and thank you!

I’ve only observed kombucha scooby in person a few times from a friend I brew with and it never looked anything like that— always looked uniform and play dough like, never slimy. To me it looks infected by mold

Last edited:
I’ve only observed kombucha scooby in person a few times from a friend I brew with and it never looked anything like that— always looked uniform and play dough like, never slimy. To me it looks infected by mold
I reached out to my buddy and he said new Scoby development can be quite slimy and grotesque looking. He said it’s hard to tell in your picture exactly whats going on. He sent me this link. It may help you. LHow To Tell If Your SCOBY Has Mold - Kombuchee

Looks normal. SCOBY will become quite ugly after numerous fermentations. Often it collects tea fanning and stringy yeasts, which are dark in color and people think the discoloration is infection.

Like an infected beer, you'll most often see obvious growth of a foreign invader.

In my experience, due to the low ph of booch, infections don't take hold easily.

For reference, attached is a photo of SCOBY from a 1bbl fermentation I recently completed.

Attachments

• 20210207_140122.jpg
    20210207_140122.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Back