Does rain flush out fertilizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MathiasMicrobrew

Reaction score
Over the last week here in southern Indiana we have got somewhere around 9 inches of rain. Its been rediculous really.

I was just curious if all that rain has saturated the ground enough and washed away the fertilizer I put on my hops.

I used a triple 10 garden fertilizer and some miracle grow. Its been about a month or so since the miracle grow and 2 months since triple 10.

Should I give them another dose of feeding? Or just let them ride for awhile

That will depend on your soil composition, pH, and organic matter %. But overall, nine inches of rain will wash out most of your fertilizer. However, I would wait at least three weeks before giving them another feeding of 10-10-10. What are the soils like in southern Indiana?

You can also try a root feeding of fish emulsion to give a little extra kick without the fear of causing nitrogen burn.

I haven't done a soil analysis or done any research on the soil here that's why I went with a balanced fertilizer lol but I have some bone and blood meal that is less aggressive. Shld I add some of that?

Bone and blood meal will just be extra nitrogen and phosphorus and calcium. It won't help keep the fertilizer in the soil if the soil has high drainage qualities. You can incorporate compost into your soils around your plant to increase fertilizer retention. Knowing the pH of the soil will greatly benefit your growing season. Hops like to make homes in soils with a pH around 6.8. Neutral pH, 7, is the optimal spot for fertilizer efficiency. The compost option is the less annoying approach, in the sense that you can't do much harm to the plants, and you won't have to send out soil tests. The University of Vermont has an organic hop experiment field at their extension. They have soil tests for soils supporting hops. You can most likely get a soil test from an agricultural extension in your area as well.

Im more concerned about lack of fertilizer on my hops right now and I was wondering what I can add to put more nutrients back in there. The soil drains well but i dont think its too much? If that's a problem lol

Like has been mentioned without the proper pH your plants will not absorb fertilizers. Read a little about soils and pH. Wrong pH wasting your fertilizer.

It dawned on my that my hydrangea in my back yard cld tell my about my soil composition.

The 2 years that I have lived here, its bloomed a deep purple color without adding any fertilizer or nutrition. Apparently that means the ph level is neutral between 6-7.

I dont know how accurate that is but it shld be fairly close I wld say.

I second fish emulsion and compost. Can't go wrong. Organic also build soil health. When the soil is healthy, it's not so much a concern about the blue stuff washing out.

With that much rain lately, if your soil is even half decent, chances are your hops are going to be very happy. Many people fail to realize that rain/water, does add moisture to the soil obviously, but it also makes nutrients available more readily. 9 inches of rain will be very good for root growth too. If you want to add fertilizer, try some liquid 5-10-5 or something similar. Cheap and effective.

I had some serious rain here in PA and before that had the nutrients perfect. tested the soil a few days after the rain left and had to bump it up a little. They sell a cheap $10 test kit that checks ph., N, P and K at most nurseries. Has four plastic test cells and these capsules you empty for each test. Pretty close to pro results that I have had. Great for a spot check.

Where can I get these things?

I use Neptune's Harvest for fish emulsion. A lot of places carry it in small amounts. You can also order wholesale direct from them out of Boston.

To find compost look for farms in your area. Many farmers have compost piles that they are willing to sell to consumers. It never hurts to ask. And most likely a farmer in your area can direct you to a farm or store that would carry compost.

Back