Does my starter look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWilliams

Reaction score
Hello, I am planning on brewing a Belgian Dubbel tomorrow. Wednesday night I made a starter, was gone all day yesterday so couldn't observe it, came home this morning and put it in the fridge to crash. Its been in almost 8 hours and there is not as much yeast on the bottom as I would have expected. Also, I used a stir plate. Does this look like everything went as it should have? It was Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey. The yeast was manufactured in Mid-Febuary.

thumb1_starter-67200.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Looks fine. 1214 is a low flocculating yeast, so it'll take its time settling out.

Hello, I am planning on brewing a Belgian Dubbel tomorrow. Wednesday night I made a starter, was gone all day yesterday so couldn't observe it, came home this morning and put it in the fridge to crash. Its been in almost 8 hours and there is not as much yeast on the bottom as I would have expected. Also, I used a stir plate. Does this look like everything went as it should have? It was Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey. The yeast was manufactured in Mid-Febuary.

thumb1_starter-67200.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Notice how cloudy the liquid in your flask is? That's because of the yeast that hasn't settled out yet. When the majority of it settles the beer in the flask will be pretty clear.

Back