Does my drill suck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we are all pulling out our Cordless wangs....

BHP454_400.jpg

boo yaa

That thing could drill holes in stainless all day. I love this cordless.

You know, I think there's something messed up with my newish DeWalt 18V. Seems like a lot of the time - far too often for it to be coincidence - within a few minutes of using it for the first time each day, the battery runs out. Like, it's leaking current or something overnight. Not that big a deal, I just swap out the battery, but it's far too often that first thing each day, the battery is almost drained.

The batteries in my DeWalt 18V drill are going after many years. I think I'm going to recell it myself with some higher mAh NiMH cells. I did that for an old 14.4V dustbuster. It worked awesome.

Just punched another hole in my keggle today for the recirc. cooling return line with a step bit. Also used a 2.5" hole saw to cut through some diamond plate to finish up the closed circuit cooling mod. My cordless drills would have never made it. I like cords.

Ok, you got me...

Porter-Cable 19.2V Cordless GRIP-TO-FIT™ 1/2" Drill/Driver

Lots of specs.. blah blah blah..

470 in-lbs maximum torque... yeah

I've mixed mortar with the thing, had to hold the bucket with my feet to keep it from flying. It snaps phillips #2 bit off at the screwhead if your not careful (must remember to use the adjustable clutch). Rarely have to grab the corded drill, plus it's a great workout keeping it under control.

I dunno if I answered the OP question though. :D

BHP454_400.jpg

boo yaa

I have the same drill. its my second one, the first is still kikin they are the bomb .com i left my tool bag in the back of my buddies truck with my charger and all but one of my batteries and he went out of town and i was still able to build an entire set of kitchen cabinets with one battery it wasn't a huge job but hey it was a whole kitchen be careful with the angle grinder and sawzall they can ruin your batteries if you push them to hard. also great customer service I dropped my 1st drill 3 stories and it wouldn't hold the battery in i had it back in 2.5 weeks good as new at no charge even though it was 3 years old. (passed the warranty) they have replaced 2 battery's for free also.

Check out instructables.com for how to replace the batteries in a drill battery pack. Im going to do it with mine once it sh*ts the bed. seems pretty easy and you can get batteries with more capacity.

PS. I got a two pack of step drill bits from harbour freight for 15 dollars. They cost 55 for one at Lowes. I have drilled three half inch holes and one 1-inch hole in a keggle, as well as (6) 1.3" holes, (12) 9/16" holes, (6) 1/2" holes in aluminum with no problems

How old is your drill? My Dwalt chewed through 2 keggles in no time flat. Took about 30seconds to drill each hole. Either your hole saw is really dull or your drills battery is not holding a charge.

boo yaa

\

I'll see your 18v and raise you by 6 volts :D . Had this for about 7 years original batteries and it get a lot of use and abuse. Have to be careful with it at the lower speed torque setting if the bit gets stuck it will twist the crap out of your wrist ..

bosch.JPG

well the bit is probably dulled down a bit, but the drill is definitely a piece. Going to use my neighbors drill tonight so I guess we will see.

Check out instructables.com for how to replace the batteries in a drill battery pack. Im going to do it with mine once it sh*ts the bed. seems pretty easy and you can get batteries with more capacity.

PS. I got a two pack of step drill bits from harbour freight for 15 dollars. They cost 55 for one at Lowes. I have drilled three half inch holes and one 1-inch hole in a keggle, as well as (6) 1.3" holes, (12) 9/16" holes, (6) 1/2" holes in aluminum with no problems

The key word there is aluminum. Those harbor freight ones wouldn't last if you used them on steel. Trust me on this- sometimes you get what you pay for.

I love these DIY threads, I learn something new all the time.
I have a basic black and decker corded drill that works fine for 99% of what I use it for.
When I had to drill two drill holes into a SS drip tray, it took a very long time with a brand new bit, and I used up a good amount of oil and burned my feet from hot slivers. I know I should have been wearing shoes but hey, I do live in Hawaii and shoes are for work days!

The key word there is aluminum. Those harbor freight ones wouldn't last if you used them on steel. Trust me on this- sometimes you get what you pay for.

Funny, my harbor freight ones have drilled three keggles... huh. I even drilled a 1.375" hole with a massive HF step but in my E-Keggle with no problem.

The neighbors drill got the job done, but the drill bit is toasted. Anyway the weld less fitting leaks a little any ideas? I was thinking maybe a bigger gasket or maybe a flat washer?

Hey, just a heads up, my local harbor freight had this drill on sale for $32.99.
47991.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47991

I already have an old 1/2" drill but couldn't pass it up. After checking it out at home, it is a bad ass drill for the $$, and IMO is perfect to power a mill. It has a beefy 10 amp motor and there is a dial on the top rear to vary the speed down real low, yet there is still loads of torque, with a big fan cooling the motor no less. Yea, I know it's junk, but for the money i'm amazed. How in the hell do the Chinese build this stuff so cheap?

edit...the pic doesn't do this beast justice! It's huge.

That's a brace...as in brace and bit.:mug:

Hah, that there is the original cordless drill, and w/ a good sharp bit, those things were hole shooters, i guess it helped to have the right guns for the power plant.

The secret to drilling SS is just like anal sex... go slow, use lots of lube, and steady pressure.

That concrete core drill is single speed and way too fast vs Milwaukee's magnetic base drills of 0-250 / 0-500 RPM variable speed control. A little on the pricey side, motor and base in Graingers 2004 catalog at $1,708 before tax without chuck and arbor. It's one of my prize finds slightly used for $500, paid for itself many times over.

Latest posts

Back