Does milk go rancid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomnomnom21

Reaction score
My girlfriend has a delicious salted caramel recipe and I would like to try dissolving it into my primary. This issue is that she uses heavy whipping cream in her caramel. Does anyone know if the milk will go bad and ruin the cider? Im assuming it will, but i just wanted to double check.

I'm not a pro, but I believe it's the high sugar content that keeps the milk proteins and fats from going rancid... By diluting it, you of course alter that state and run the risk of it turning.

BUT... Isn't that why 1-gallon test batches are for ? :):)

Do iiitttt!:D

My girlfriend has a delicious salted caramel recipe and I would like to try dissolving it into my primary. This issue is that she uses heavy whipping cream in her caramel. Does anyone know if the milk will go bad and ruin the cider? Im assuming it will, but i just wanted to double check.

I'm new to homebrewing, but I would think fat would end up just separating and floating to the surface and possibly going rancid over time. Couldn't make for a very pleasant drink with oil droplets floating on top. When flavored oils are added to alcohol, say orange flavored vodka for instance, it must be dissolved in like 95% pure alcohol first, then diluted down to lower strengths because low levels of alcohol (< 80%) won't dissolve much volume of fat at all. There's a very nice article here about it. Or you might be able to use something like lecithin to homogenize it after the fact.

On a side note, it's frustrating you can't get even 95% pure ethanol (Everclear 190) in most states because I really want to try to make my own extracts as described in this article. Using that technique, you could extract the flavors from the caramel leaving behind the fat and add the extract to your cider at bottling.

I'm new to homebrewing, but I would think fat would end up just separating and floating to the surface and possibly going rancid over time. Couldn't make for a very pleasant drink with oil droplets floating on top.

I know less about this than anyone here, but maybe this thread could shed some light? The second response in that thread suggests:
"For those who are saying 'wtf?!?!', I had the same reaction but after reading more into it, the fats curdle and separate and supposedly what you're left with is an extremely smooth mead. "

... and I know mead ages for a long time.

I know less about this than anyone here, but maybe this thread could shed some light? The second response in that thread suggests:
"For those who are saying 'wtf?!?!', I had the same reaction but after reading more into it, the fats curdle and separate and supposedly what you're left with is an extremely smooth mead. "

... and I know mead ages for a long time.

I do recall reading about lactomels before. However the difference as far as I understand is that the protein curdles (curds and whey) and the fat separates forming various layers. Only one layer is siphoned off which is the smooth mead. The rest is discarded. The fat doesn't end up in the final product as far as I'm aware. If you were to do the same with this recipe and skim off the fat, it might work fine.

Do it! doooo ITTT!

just rack as son a you look the oil on the top of the jug, make a gallon jug and come back to tell us how amazing is the cider?

there is a lactomel in the mead forum, go and get some good ideas.

I suspect that if you add milk to active yeast or active yeast to milk you will curdle or clot the milk and and so produce curds and whey. My sense is that the fats will be in the curds and the whey will tend to become sour (not go rancid) as bacteria in the milk will convert the lactose into lactic acid but you will need to remove the curds..

Latest posts

Back