Does Melanoidin Malt add fermentable sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane

Reaction score
I'd think this would be an easy question to answer, but 30 minutes of google and forum searches have given me nothing.

Obviously Melanoidin gives you extreme malty flavors, it's like munich on steroids, it's used sparingly, etc., etc. This information is plastered all over the place. But I can't seem to find out if it adds noteworthy fermentable sugar to your wort.

Thanks!

From my experience, I have never found Melanoidin malt to add anything too noteworthy in terms of fermentables (at least if your using it in the recommended amounts). I'd say something similar to that of Crystal Malt. It's more so for Flavor and Color, but will add something if you're mashing it.
Hopefully that answers your question, Cheers!:mug:

"Noteworthy fermentables"? Well, yes and no. I mean, it does add to the gravity (and those are fermentables) but it's used in such a small amount (like .5 pound in a 5 gallon batch), that it's really not very significant.

Any time you add 1/2 pound of grain to a 5 gallon batch, you will increase the OG but it's a very small amount. It should add about 3 gravity points in most AG batches.

I believe Melanoiden malt needs to be mashed.

It has no converted sugars like crystal, so if you just steep it, it will only add starch and some flavor. It will not add any sugars or anything to the gravity.

If you mash it, it will have a similar contribution to gravity as any other grain, providing fermentable sugars.

Back