does it take longer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Reaction score
for a robust porter to corbonate?

I fermented for 3 weeks ....bottled on 2/9 ......left at 65 degrees for 3 plus weeks..........been in fridge for 1 week.....opened and still have little to no carbonation......any suggestions

Lots of factors could be playing a role here. How much priming sugar did you use? How long did you ferment the beer before bottling?

If you have some, but low carbonation, I would keep the bottles at room temp for a couple more weeks. It will probably come around. :)

65 could be a bit cool. Suggest gently rocking each bottle to re-suspend yeast then give another 3 weeks at 70 degrees.

thanks for the input...........I will wait a little longer and try to raise the temp........i guess i will leave the bottle in the fridge for now, pulling them out may cause them to go bad.........should i really gently shake them?

thanks for the input...........I will wait a little longer and try to raise the temp........i guess i will leave the bottle in the fridge for now, pulling them out may cause them to go bad.........should i really gently shake them?

I don't think pulling them out of the fridge will hurt. The gentle shaking will rouse any yeast fromt the bottom to gently let them know to 'get to work'.

I had this happen to me once with an english bitter made with S-04 yeast. Once the yeast flocced out because the temp was too low, it took forever to finally prime the bottles.

Taking the bottle out of the fridge won't make it go bad.

If the yeast have flocculated to the bottom of the bottle, you need to shake them back up into suspension and warm them a little to get them back to work. Shake them up and keep around 70 degrees and they'll carbonate, but might take a while.

Pulling it out of the fridge will not hurt your beer. Constant major temperature shifts can shorten shelf life, but one move from cold to warm won't do a thing, and the yeast will stay dormant in the fridge.

thanks again guys................I will pull them out of the fridge and shake a little and move to a warmer place in the house

might have to try another one just to make sure:)

Don't put your beer in the fridge unless you know it's carbonated... Usually I will crack one open warm, or just put one bottle in the fridge for a day or two to test it. Take all your bottles out!

Back