Does Honey Malt Belong in an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bitter (~60 IBU), tropical-fruit-forward hops. I usually add a few percent of 10L Caravienne, but something (maybe it was a post here?) put the idea into my head to try a few percent honey malt in addition.

Great idea, or it’ll ruin the batch?

Bitter (~60 IBU), tropical-fruit-forward hops. I usually add a few percent of 10L Caravienne, but something (maybe it was a post here?) put the idea into my head to try a few percent honey malt in addition.

I don't think it will ruin the batch, and it's worth a try. Let us know how it turns out!

Yeah, I use it at about 2%, the lovibond is a little higher then you might expect so it will change your srm some. But I will say I left it out of a couple recipes and I liked them better with it in so it's back in the lineup for the majority of my ipas and neipas.

Yes, Gambrinus Honey ranges from 15.3 to 26.4° L per their spec sheet - and what I buy always seems to be at the high end of that range. I won't use it in any of my hazies because of that, but fortunately 1318 leaves plenty of residual sweetness :) I love honey malt in WCIPAs and dark stuff like my chocolate stout...

Cheers!

Yes, but as others have commented, use it sparingly. By sparingly, I would target 1%. 2% max depending on how you like to roll with your IPAs.
FWIW, Julian Shrago from Beachwood has mentioned using 1% honey malt in some of his WCIPAs to accentuate tropical forward hops.

As many have said here, I will recommend against using too much honey malt unless you are brewing a brown ale or something along those lines. I use honey malt mainly for color adjustment with additions around 1-1.5%, as honey malt gives me that orange tone I’m always looking in my NEIPAs. This one below is 1% honey malt, 15% flaked wheat and 84% 2-row.

Attachments

• 233BABC6-3BF0-4111-A1EC-B155CD2CF7B6.jpeg
    233BABC6-3BF0-4111-A1EC-B155CD2CF7B6.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 0
Brewed this yesterday, a one-ish gallon batch:

1.4 lb. Pale Ale
0.9 lb. Vienna
0.7 lb. flaked oats
0.05 lb. Caravienne 10L
0.05 lb. honey malt

3 g Magnum (15.1% AA) @ 60 min.
14 g HBC 1019 (9.6% AA) @ 10 min.
14 g HBC 1019 (9.6% AA) @ hop stand @ 160 F for 10 min.
Planned 28 g HBC 1019 (9.6% AA) dry hop @ 2 days before packaging

W34/70

OG: 1.050

Never used HBC 1019 before, but it smelled terrific. Looking forward to seeing how this comes out.

It came out well! HBC 1019 didn't impress me at first, but now that keg hopping is well underway, I like it a lot.

The honey malt works well. It's certainly not overpowering; I have to search for it in the taste profile. I think my next batch will double the honey malt and drop the Caravienne entirely.

I did a Honey Rye ale recently and it was aweme. I think it was upwards of 8-10% (off the top of my head) and it didn't mess it up at all. So far, it's been everyone's favourite too. I used enough hops to hint at an IPA style but I really don't like anything super hoppy. But it gave the impression of an IPA and the beer was super successful.

I personally hate honey malt, I recently bought a # and added 8oz to a NEIPA and hated it and am going to toss the rest., if you want some color go golden promise.

Back