Does fermenting wine need to be in the dark?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IEpicDestiny

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm fermenting a WineBuddy Pinot Grigio at the moment and was wondering if it is necessary to ferment it in the dark.

My temperature is at 28 degrees Celsius (higher than the recommended 20 - 25) because I have wrapped the fermenter in a towel since the only place I can put my fermenter is near a window.

Is it okay to ferment this wine at 28 degrees Celsius?

and do I need to ferment it in the dark?

Thanks

Doesn’t need to be dark, but bright light or sunlight should be avoided. Just wrapping it with a towel will further increase the temp of your ferment, but getting the towel wet will help with cooling it down. Sitting the whole thing in a basin to let it sit in some water will help keep it wet (swamp cooler). The acceptable temp range will be depending on the yeast you use and if you want the esters some produce when at certain temps.

Doesn’t need to be dark, but bright light or sunlight should be avoided. Just wrapping it with a towel will further increase the temp of your ferment, but getting the towel wet will help with cooling it down. Sitting the whole thing in a basin to let it sit in some water will help keep it wet (swamp cooler). The acceptable temp range will be depending on the yeast you use and if you want the esters some produce when at certain temps.

Thanks for the help! I will definitely try that. Apparently the yeast needs 20-25 degrees Celsius but does it really make much difference if my temperature is 2 or 3 degrees higher than that?

If it’s got an air lock in it, Anywhere that is undisturbed and dry, and relatively clean. Closet space, under a counter or in a cabinet? Just not under the sink or with a bunch of cleaning chemicals.

Back