Does efficiency matter if you hit your numbers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehartunian

Reaction score
Hi all, first post after lurking for a while. I did my first AG batch last weekend (3d batch total). It was a Liberty Cream Ale from Midwest with Wyeast smack pack. Followed directions pretty much, added irish moss at the end of the boil.
My measured gravity before I pitched was 1.042, which is what the instructions called for. My efficiency (according to calculator on Tastybrew) was 59%. That sounds low, but I got the correct OG- so does it matter?

Process:
-Mash in cooler at 158^ for an hour ( I preheated the cooler, and after stiring, 158^ was my temp- checked prior to batch sparging, and the temp was 156^ after 1hr)
-vorluaf, then drain first runnings.
-add sparge water @170^, stir, wait 10min, drain
-This gave me 6gal preboil and I had 5gal after the 1hr boil
-cool with IC, pitch yeast, clean up.

Fermentation is going fine, going to rack to secondary this weekend.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Eric

Sounds kinda strange to me if you hit your og but only got 59%. I thought kits usually account for 65% to 70% efficiency. Maybe the calculator was off somehow? I wouldn't worry about it if you hit your numbers, but it is nice to know how well your equipment works.

The only time efficiency matters in and of itself is if you're trying to minimize your malt costs, which only makes sense in a commercial setting. The cost difference to a homebrewer between 80% and 60% efficiency is a few dollars at most.

Reproducible efficiency is much more important than high efficiency, and ever striving for higher efficiency might negatively impact quality.

I agree with a previous post, one of your numbers is off. I don't think you got 59% efficiency if you hit your numbers and volume as you said. Are you sure you input everything correctly?

That's why efficiency matters - so you can hit your numbers. And hit them consistently.

corax said:
The only time efficiency matters in and of itself is if you're trying to minimize your malt costs, which only makes sense in a commercial setting. The cost difference to a homebrewer between 80% and 60% efficiency is a few dollars at most.

Reproducible efficiency is much more important than high efficiency, and ever striving for higher efficiency might negatively impact quality.

Or you don't want a session brew to end up at 7% ABV.

If you reproducibly get 70% efficiency you will hit your numbers just as consistently as you will if you reproducibly get 90% efficiency.

Yup, agreed. That's exactly why efficiency matters.

Thanks for the replies. Bottom line, I guess, is that consistency is more important than raw efficiency.
I should bottle this batch next week, I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Thanks,
Eric

Latest posts

Back