Does brewing stress you or relax you.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stress or relax

• I get stressed when brewing

• It relaxes me

• doesn't change my mood.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I relax as long as I am not hurried or bothered.

Ditto, it's definitely relaxing until SWMBO starts asking "are you done yet?" every 5 minutes and then cleanup is stressful because I need to get it done as fast as I can so we can go to Hobby Lobby or Pier 1 to shop for home decor!

My brew days used to be a little more stressful... since I built the HERMS, it is alot more relaxing... I have alot less chance of messing things up! I love my brew days, I get the whole afternoon to myself with no one tugging me here or there.

I was worried the switch to All Grain would be a kick in the teeth and super stressful, but I planned my first few brews out on flowchart paper and went step by step.

Now, with brewing software, it's all done for me and I just work my way down the list. No stress at all.

I get stressed but not from the brewing itself.

1. I seem to always have to fit a brew section in to a time window. That always drives me insane.

2. My organizational skills stink. The more I brew the better it gets.

I've only brewed 6 batches so far, so my technique hasn't gotten to the point where it's stress free.

I still enjoy the hell out of it though.

My first brew date a couple weeks ago was relaxing (for a first timer). I brewed another batch last Sunday and that was pretty stressful. SWMBO was trying to do stuff in the kitchen as well, then our 8 month old woke up from a nap, and on top of that I had 2 fantasy football drafts going on... poor planning on my part I suppose. By Sunday evening the brew was fermenting away. I checked it again on Monday and had krausen in the airlock.

It depends - how much have I had to drink? :drunk:

Really. It still depends. Some brew days are hectic with kids running in and out of my garage, all with admonitions from me to "get away from the burner" or "careful, that's glass" or "quit drinking my beer" ;).

I love the brewing process, but the thing I hate the most, besides cleaning up, is getting the wort to cool quickly. It's a pain - I need to find a better way other than my submersion chiller.

I guess it's become stressful lately because I've been doing two simultaneous batches. Sometimes it's hard to keep up.

My brew days used to be a little more stressful... since I built the HERMS, it is alot more relaxing... I have alot less chance of messing things up! I love my brew days, I get the whole afternoon to myself with no one tugging me here or there.
Do you have any details on how you built your HERMS? I'm considering it, but am a bit daunted on where to start.

I would say that is excites me more than anything, sometimes it gets stressful but that is what makes it fun in my mind.

It's one of the few times when I'm just solo hanging out, so it's pretty chill for me. I also tend to make easy, low gravity beers, and don't sweat the details too much. My first AG was pretty stressful, but after that...smooth sailing.

It also helps to have a few while you're kickin' it during the mash.

It'd be more relaxing in the summer if the garage I brew in wasn't 100+ degrees, here's to looking forward to a Florida "winter."

:mug:

I enjoy just about every aspect of the brew process. Measuring grains and hops is PROBABLY the most annoying part, but I'd not call that stressful.

There is stress later though, and it's not brewing per se. I built my life to not be a slave to the clock. I like being able to sit in my underwear in the morning and procrastinate before going to work so I found a job that allows that. I don't wear a watch and the clocks on my cell phones aren't set. When I have to move to a schedule, it eats at me like a parasite.

So I might brew and fill my carboys up with oxyclean. I might also want to let them soak there for a few hours because I don't feel like moving them now. Unfortunately, every day my apartment seems to get smaller and smaller, so I find I'm often forced to do things around my wife's (can't soak bottles if she's planning on showering) schedule and that is really enough of a burden that I almost don't want to do it at all.

It's a problem of my apartment being to damn small and not having my own spaces to persue my hobbies, not brewing.

balancing the Papazian philosophy with attention to detail and process.

I have been able to achieve this balance.

I'm an operations manager in a food manufacturing plant so it's kind of in my blood to work a plan from raw materials to finished product while trying to be as efficient as possible with the use of time.

After many batches, I'm really on auto pilot at this point when I brew. I get into a zone. Best advice, have a game plan and work it methodically. It also helps that I get out of the house and away from the distractions. I usually just brew with my dog for company.

Brewing software and the process of steam mashing are the two things that have really made the whole process much more enjoyable and consistant.

Generally it relaxes me, except when stuff goes wrong. And I've learned not to brew at night. When I did extract brews I could get the whole thing done from start to all cleaned up in 3 hours. so I figured I could start one at 7:30 since I go to bed at 10:30... I was sadly mistaken. there's nothing quite like hauling a fermenter up the stairs when you'd much rather be in bed.

Now on the other hand, I took a couple hours off of work last Friday to brew. there's no better place to be at noon on a Friday than you back porch listening to some music and reading a magazine, homebrew in hand, with the smell of wort in the air...

Brewing used to stress the **** out of me. Now that I have a few brews under my belt though it's mostly reacting. I've made enough mistakes with nothing bad happening to know you can relax while brewing.

I brew like I cook. I make sure everything is where it needs to be before I start. My grain is crushed the night before. The starter is ready to go. Everything is staged by my back door ready to go outside. My strike water is already on the stove ready to be lit off when I wake up. Hops are measured out. The coffee is setup and ready to brew. etc. etc.

Once everything is going, I'm definitely relaxed.

I try to space my "beer chores" out over the week. This keeps it feeling like s hobby, and not a job.

I tend to feel a bit stressed, only because I try very hard to do it right, and usually have other things that ought to be doing instead. Plus, I usually find I haven't planned and prepared as well as I should have.

Once I get the techniques down, and more familiar with the equipment, I would probably relax more. Having friends over helps. Someday I hope to get my friends up to the point where we can brew together as "equals". My usual buddy enjoys hanging out and helping, but he doesn't read up on it and he's usually just doing this or that if I ask him to, but mostly just BSing.

good thread guys,
My first couple batches were stressfull, my 2 yr old girl trying to help me and all:), my wife complaining about the wort smell I love so much, btw what does "SWMBO " mean? Sorry..:)
now, I wait until everyone is asleep, which makes it even more stressfull because brewing, and quiet dont go together. Boy It sure is great self gratification, and my other hobby fishing can be combined with it, when im sitting down in the shade, with a pole and a cold hb.
later

I rarely find brew sessions relaxing, but there are only a few parts I stress over. I brew all-grain, so the mash gives me a little down-time, but I spend some of that time preparing for the rest of the brew. Any time I'm not actually doing anything with the brew, I'm usually pretty stimulated from thinking about the beer I'm brewing/beer in general. Some times, like the beginnings of the sparge and boil kind of stress me, but the overall experience is recreactional, if not relaxing.

I voted relax, but I don't think it is relaxation as much as enjoyment. I just really enjoy the process, so long as I don't get a crappy hydrometer reading or "honey-do's" from SWMBO or kids bugging me about stupid stuff like being hungry or bleeding from their ears during the process.

10 gallon Gatorade coolers have changed my life.
Before that... I was stressed all day.

Reeeeally relaxes me! I love to brew but it is like cooking for me - it is relaxing as long as I'm not required to do it. If it's just me and the brew then it is total zen...

-Tripod

Today i got absolutely pissed. Bottling makes me want to kill people. I broke A SECOND autosiphon trying to pull the hose off of it. I tried a new long tube that i bought and it was nothing but air bubbles even with a hose clamp.

Relaxing as I do it. A zen kinda process occurs and I become mellow in the moment.

Then I come back to the reality of being married to someone who thinks consumption of a single ETOH beverage and a snide remark constitutes alcoholism and the need for harping, harrasment and intervention.

Other than that, brewing is a complete relaxing experience for me.

wow, can't believe I've missed this thread. Good topic Orfy!

It totally relaxes me -- I'm my happiest when I'm brewing, racking, bottling, cleaning up; it doesn't matter...

I voted that it relaxes me but really I'd call it eustress. After brewing a batch I'm usually pretty worn out for the rest of the day. I get tense but I'm really enjoying it.

Latest posts

Back