Does anyone use scotchbrite for scrubbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdad

Reaction score
I have some 3M scotchbrite here at work. It's the gray medium roughness type. I'm thinking it would be great to scrub my stainless steel boil pot and bottle labels. Has anyone else tried it? How does it work? I don't like to use brillo that much because I hate that nasty blue soap that comes on it. I rinse forever after using brillo because I worry about getting that taste in my beer. I don't think that scotchbrite has any soap or chemicals in it but I'm not sure.

Crazytwoknobs said:
I scrub my plastic fermenter with it and it's fine.... I think....

careful. micro-abrasions can hold organics and bacteria.

for plastics, I like the Dobie scrubber (not to be confused with a doobie, which is illegal in 49 states...)

it's not pre-coated with any detergents, and is a kind of soft plastic abrasive material that doesn't seem to scratch even soft plastic, and you don't have to scrub real hard with it either to get the krausen ring out of a bucket.

Soak your fermenter in oxyclean......leave it overnight, and you can just spray it out.....no scrubbing!

aekdbbop said:
is that the best way to clean a better bottle?
I've soaked Better Bottles overnight and there were still some tough crust on the upper part. I jam a rag into the bottle and shake it and it works well.

Scotchbrite pads work great on stainless pots. You won't harm your bottles with it, either.

Like others have said...avoid using them on plastic of any sort.

talleymonster said:
What state is it Legal in? lemme guess...California.

IIRC I think it is Alaska where small quantities for personal use are legal. I could be wrong though.

The rumor floating around this forum is to use the blue scotchbrite pads on stainless steel to avoid scratching it. Sounds to me like the scotchbrite pads you have are more abrasive than the green pads.

Latest posts

Back