Does anyone really like IPA's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RICLARK said:
Some people just dont like the Bitterness, Maybe you haven't found the right one or maybe you will never like them. I know my wife can't drink IPA's but She does love Two Hearted which I think is the perfect Beer. Do you not like Two Hearted Either?

I never had two hearted. Is Bell's distributing in Illinois again finally? I may have to search it out...

I mostly started this thread in jest as a response to another thread. I thought it'd be kinda funny.

I mean seriously though, I just don't like IPA's and yet they seem like the backbone of the homebrew movement. It's really kind of weird, IMHO. I dunno. I was just wondering if I was the only one who didn't like this be-all and end-all of homebrewed style beers.

I don't like wheat beers, especially the Euro-trash varieties. Many others do and I have tried, but IRREGARDLESS, I suppose that what makes the world go round.

Sir Humpsalot said:
I mostly started this thread in jest as a response to another thread. I thought it'd be kinda funny.

I mean seriously though, I just don't like IPA's and yet they seem like the backbone of the homebrew movement. It's really kind of weird, IMHO. I dunno. I was just wondering if I was the only one who didn't like this be-all and end-all of homebrewed style beers.

I hear you. I'm tempted to start a "Does anyone really like sex?" thread.

I always knew about IPAs but they were just another beer style. It wasn't until I started brewing and hanging around other brewers that I realized how popular they are. Hops are nice, but most IPAs out there are pretty one dimensional. Like I said in my response above, I think IPA is the BMC of the craftbrew crowd. If it smells like grapefruit and the bitterness could choke a cow, it must be good, right?

Sir Humpsalot said:
I never had two hearted. Is Bell's distributing in Illinois again finally? I may have to search it out...
No
:(
2 Hearted is one fine beer..very nice and balanced. I think some recipes are on the board..but you might want to taste it before u brew it to be sure.

It sucks but thats life. I guess you are not a fan of two brothers HOP JUICE than...:D

More for me:mug:

Jay

[
I always knew about IPAs but they were just another beer style. It wasn't until I started brewing and hanging around other brewers that I realized how popular they are. Hops are nice, but most IPAs out there are pretty one dimensional. Like I said in my response above, I think IPA is the BMC of the craftbrew crowd. If it smells like grapefruit and the bitterness could choke a cow, it must be good, right?[/QUOTE]

Lets not go to far on this one. Hops have many complex characteristics..If you don't like them sure they all will taste the same..but if you doo love them as many do than u can drink an APA or IPA from a local brewery and pick out the hops spot on..I think it is fun to try to do this. They have many different flavors and aromas.
but to say BMC..I do agree that they tend to be easier beers to make becasue they are more forgiving than say..a pilsner or dry stout.

J

http://www.hopunion.com/hopunion-variety-databook.pdf

just a small list of the hops out there...:D

I can't stand IPAs, I just drink them all the time so people will think I'm cool...

j/k they're one of my favorite styles as long as they stay out of the realm of the super hopped barleywine. I will agree that some commercial examples are so gratuitously over hopped that they just aren't enjoyable but I think those ones are in the minority

I know what you mean. I do not really like them all that much, or at least I have not acquired a taste for them yet. They taste like grassy beer to me. It seems that usually the only time I can enjoy one is after I've had a few other non-IPAs beforehand. Maybe if I drank a lot of them it would be different, I dunno.

Sir Humpsalot said:
Does anybody really like discgolf?

:mug:

:off: It is a smaller sport..but it has seen an annual growth of both number of courses and players of around 15% for the past 20 years..

I would like to hear any other sport with a similiar growth pattern

So to answer your question yes. May I suggest you take a look at www.pdga.com

Jay

discgolfin said:
:off: It is a smaller sport..but it has seen an annual growth of both number of courses and players of around 15% for the past 20 years..
Jay

:off: Right on!!...glad to see another disc golfer around here. We've got about 20-something courses around here, and SWMBO is rated as the 13th best woman player worldwide...I guess I've got a ways to go to catch up-but I'm still rated higher than her. Sure makes it nice that if it's nice, it's daylight, and I'm not around-she knows where I am!

IPAs were more interesting before the current "top-your-hop" trend got started. I still drink them, but it's tough to find ones that taste like beer and not hop-liquor.

love em. however most commercial ones arent real IPA-tasting. My personal favourite is Alexander Keith's. I'd like to jump into a AG IPA, havent ventured that far yet.

I agree with the OP. I like a 30-40 IBU beer and that just isn't to be found in the American IPAs, especially in the Pac NW ^^.

discgolfin said:

Jay

Oh... then maybe it's just you that we don't like..... :p

just kidding JUST KIDDING!!!!! :D Sheesh, it was just a joke. Disc golf is cool. It's right up there with lawn darts or something...

(I keed, I keed!!!!) :mug:

Now that I homebrew and have a deeper appreciation for what is going on, I like IPAs less. Less often and less of them, but I do still like them.

I do love harvest ale though. Once I have a healthy hop bine making good cones I'll probably make an annual harvest ale, bottle it, and stick to occasional commercial IPA.

Cass said:
love em. however most commercial ones arent real IPA-tasting. My personal favourite is Alexander Keith's. I'd like to jump into a AG IPA, havent ventured that far yet.

There aint much IPA about Keith's cept the "pale" part..... Something like a west coast style IPA might shock you a bit in comparison.

I like a well balanced hop vs malt IPA. I am a big fan of the DFH 60 and 90 but the 120 was way to sweet.

I also like the smell of hoppy beers. It's the "cherry on top" of a great beer. IMO.

When I first started enjoying craft beer, I didn't care for the hoppy beers. It is an acquired taste for me. I started liking the stouts and porters first then came to appreciate the hops!

I drink at least one 22oz a night and it is always an IPA or IIPA. I love hops, I love bitter. Actually my love for hoppy beer has gotten pretty bad to the point where its getting hard to enjoy other beers. 100+Ibu's is sexy ;)

i'm a hophead too. if a beer don't have at least 45 ibu, it ain't right (except for hefe's; i like them). 45-80 is my range

Remember the "Bitter Beer Face" commercials? He was really drinking a Ruination.

That said, I'm a massive hop-head. I've actually gotten so accustomed to heavy IBU's, that I have stayed away from your "typical" brown, malty brews. There's just something about heavy malt that turns me off now...can't really explain it. Might be because I lived 7 miles away from Stone in San Diego for almost 4 years.

stone beers are some of the best. i like all their beers that i've tasted, but i still haven't tasted arrogant bastard yet. their stone ipa is good stuff, and the pale ale is good, too

.... Might be because I lived 7 miles away from Stone in San Diego for almost 4 years.

:eek: your so lucky. Actually the wife and I are planning a socal trip to hit up Firestone Brewing, Stone, And port Brewing. and if there's time Karl Strauss Brewing..grown fond of the Tower 10 IPA:tank:

I say "meh" to Karl Strauss now. Seems they're more bent on being brewstaurants than a craft brewery, especially since they only have a few different releases in the 20+ years they've been open. (Just my 2 centavos.)

If you're headed to SD, definitely head to Green Flash over in Vista, the Yardhouse downtown, and Pizza Port in Carlsbad (ahh...my old stomping ground *sniff). Can't go wrong with either, but Pizza Port is a must-do.

I say "meh" to Karl Strauss now. Seems they're more bent on being brewstaurants than a craft brewery, especially since they only have a few different releases in the 20+ years they've been open. (Just my 2 centavos.)

If you're headed to SD, definitely head to Green Flash over in Vista, the Yardhouse downtown, and Pizza Port in Carlsbad (ahh...my old stomping ground *sniff). Can't go wrong with either, but Pizza Port is a must-do.

:rockin: Thanks I will have to do that, will dump K.Strauss for Pizza Port. Looks like the socal trip is planned for spring break, when she is on vacation from teaching. It's planned for early next year. But we have a Sonoma get away planned in a couple weeks , gonna hit up Lagunitas and Russian River, home of the Pliney. :D

I'm an ipa nut. When I started brewing I smelled the hops and immediately decided I needed to sample them solo.

My favorite style. If I'm checking out a brewery for the first time, I will almost always try their IPA first.

oh how I love Pizza Port.

Some of em I like but others are just meh. I had Latitude 48 from Sam Adams on Sunday and I absolutely loved it

I quite enjoy a well-brewed IPA, although it's certainly not my favorite style. Not a big fan of double/imperial IPAs though - they tend to lose the hop character between all the sweetness from the malt and alcohol.

I go through phases (like right now) where I crave IPAs and drink nothing but until I burn myself out. Then I go back to trying (and brewing) other types of beers until the hop monster rears his ugly head and I am back to frying my taste buds :drunk:

My favorite style. If I'm checking out a brewery for the first time, I will almost always try their IPA first.

Heh, same here. It is the one style that I know very well, probably better than any other style since it's my fav, and I can always make a good judgment on a brewer's ability based on their IPA. If their IPA sucks, I lose much hope for the rest of their beers. BTW I just bottled a theoretical 236 IBU Pliny clone (although Vinny's recipe claims the perceived BUs are around 90-95).

I can enjoy two, maybe three every now and then but overall not my favorite on a regular basis. After the first two it has kind of quenched my craving and I am done.

really? you guys are crazy.

on the other side when an IPA was too over the top for me, even SNPA was too much hops for me but that has all changed in a big way

Just don't rush into them, if you enjoy other beers have them, I almost guarantee you will transition into a hop lover eventually

Latest posts

Back