Does anyone have a hard plumbed water filter with a bypass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the exception of the 2 valves, I had to purchase all of the fittings. On the up side, sch 80 PVC fittings are cheap. I might have $10 in fittings - Not counting the brass and stainless ;)

I am leaning more and more to this setup. It will cost me about 60 bucks to make it myself anyway.. might as well do the dual filter setup for the same darn price plus a little extra pvc and a few brass fittings.

What is the fitting all the way to the right on the other side of the filter? Is that a quick disconnect or something?

I want to wall mount a water filter next to my utility sink. I would like to be able to use it only for brewing but still have it go through the sink faucet. Any ideas on the best way to do it? I'm sure it's simple, but i'm drawing a blank. It's new construction, so I can do whatever is necessary.

Im not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I have a great water filter from Watts. Got from Amazon.

Most of them just have a shutoff so you can change the filter, but the Watts has an off and a bypass.

https://www.wattspremier.com/products.php?product=Whole-House-Filter

Also, even though it doesn't look like it in the picture, mine's base is crystal clear polycarbonate so nice for filtering look-see. I put mine on tri-clamps so I can swap from water to beer after a sanitize.

I am leaning more and more to this setup. It will cost me about 60 bucks to make it myself anyway.. might as well do the dual filter setup for the same darn price plus a little extra pvc and a few brass fittings.

What is the fitting all the way to the right on the other side of the filter? Is that a quick disconnect or something?

It's a "Snaplock" brand stainless cam-lock disconnect from Pro Flow Dynamics - It's got a cap on it, which is why you can't see the fitting...

There's a huge thread on them here:

Okay, from what I know about filters from 10 years of owning one for my fish tank:

Most 10"x2.5" (the most common household size) filter housings come with 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2. All for about the same price, between $15 and $20. Ebay has them cheaper than that. They do have both 20"x2.5" and 10x4.5" fatties both are rated for high flow, which you don't really need in most homebrew setups. Sure, you can get the high flow models, but you're more than doubling your price for setup and every filter change. Stick to the 10"x2.5" filters, they're easier to find and cheaper too.

Most housings have places for screws on top. You don't have to pay for a $5 bracket when a $1 angle bracket will do.

If you get a 2 housing setup, your carbon block will last longer. A $2 5 or 10 micron filter will drastically improve the life of your $15 carbon block filter. If you figure it will cost you about $25 for the extra filter housing and filter, you easily make that back after the second time you'd change your carbon.

Juvinous has the best solution for somewhere you can't get to a pipe (or you rent.) Get a dishwasher/icemaker connection and plumb from that. I especially dig the flexible hose from the shutoff to the filter. Brilliant idea. Just remember that if you end up with a 1/4" valve, that's going to be the restriction on your flow. You might have to search one out that's bigger than 3/8. I'm used to NYC Home Depots, so your selection might be much better.

If you have the space and the inclination, you can go with a three filter and add DI. Then your water will be almost free from anything, basically clean H20. You can build the exact water profile you want. However, to get the most out of your DI you need to slow it down to probably under 10 gallons an hour. If you're doing 5 gallon batches, no biggie. But if you're trying to do 20, it sucks donkey balls waiting for the water. I just filled a 60 gallon aquarium and it took about a day and a half.

If you're going to go with DI, I HIGHLY suggest you go with bulk DI resin. I get about 200 gallons of 0 TDS (total dissolved solids) water per DI change. If you're buying throw-away carts, it's about $30 each. If you buy a refillable cart and bulk DI, it's about $6.

I get a bunch of my filter stuff from www.buckeyefieldsupply.com They have just about everything you need.

I do get my bulk resin from www.resindepot.com

B

what are you guys doing messing around making bypasses??? get a filter with a bypass built in, thats what i have on mine. mine is over kill with valves, i split the flow pre filter to go to a wort chiller.

IMG_0639.JPG

what are you guys doing messing around making bypasses??? get a filter with a bypass built in, thats what i have on mine. mine is over kill with valves, i split the flow pre filter to go to a wort chiller.

What? Isn't splitting the flow pre-filter a bypass? Why would you need to do that if the filter has a built in bypass?

yep i didnt need the extra valves. For most peopl who are looking for a bypass filter this would work awesome.

The only problem is that the by pass is all or nothin. With the hand valves i can manually split the flow if i need to fill a vessesl (Say for cleaning) while i put water through my chiller.

Latest posts

Back