Does anyone carve pumpkins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some pumpkins I did a few years ago

1915307_607495811634_2069410_n.jpg

1915307_607495816624_3594482_n.jpg

What'd you use a dremel to cut those out? We had such thick walled pumpkins that I would have ended up punching my hand through it trying to get that close of cuts.

Some pumpkins I did a few years ago

very nice! it takes a while with that much detail, atleast for me it does but I'm all thumbs, haha.

say your primary says pb stout. which recipe did you end up going with? looking at doing up a pb and a choc milk stout in the future. just put deception stout in the keg but haven't sampled it yet.

say your primary says pb stout. which recipe did you end up going with? looking at doing up a pb and a choc milk stout in the future. just put deception stout in the keg but haven't sampled it yet.

This beer was tricky. I used my milk stout recipe without the lactose. Pulled some wort before I killed the boil, mixed in 16oz of PB2, brought it to a boil on the stove, cooled some, then added half to each carboy (10gal). Cooled and transferred the remaining amount of wort as normal. After fermentation, I added another 1lb of PB2 to each carboy and let sit for another 7 days, crashed and kegged. The sample I pulled had a little peanut butter nose and flavor, but not significant enough. Since I was already adding a chocolate tincture to each keg, I figured this would cover up some of the PB flavor, so I ended up adding 2oz of PB extract to each keg. Helped tremendously. The beer was good, but was still a touch on the bitter side, so I added 8 of the small reeses cups to a sanitized bag per keg, and have them suspended by a string. Rounded everything out perfectly. Overall, I wasnt too satisfied with the PB2 in the beer. Seems like you need to add a crapload. Ill just stick with it in my protein shakes.

Sorry for being so lengthy. (If I had a nickle...:cross:)

What'd you use a dremel to cut those out? We had such thick walled pumpkins that I would have ended up punching my hand through it trying to get that close of cuts.

Usually we thin the walls of the pumpkin where we will be cutting. I personally use a steel ice cream scooper to thin the walls and it does a really good job.

Usually we thin the walls of the pumpkin where we will be cutting. I personally use a steel ice cream scooper to thin the walls and it does a really good job.

Thin from the inside, I'm assuming?

I'm planning on doing one with some intricate cuts today, thinning sounds like a good plan.

OK. how do you do the super small cuts?

Very carefully?

Kidding, I don't do really intricate ones that often, so may not be the best for those cuts. But I'm going to give it a shot tonight.

Why, thank you!

I tried using a drill to put holes in the pumpkin so I could fake the appearance of carved lines, in addition to carving out areas. It didn't work as well as I would have liked - You have to be close to see it. Still worked well enough though!

Jig saw works well if you have to go power tool.

A thin coat of motor oil will preserve a pumpkin nicely and prevent mold.

I've used a dremel on a pumpkin in the past... It was nice for carving layers of depth into the pumpkin!

Just wear goggles though - I found that It sprayed fine bits of pumpkin all of the place.

We carve some every year but we have to wait until the day before Halloween. Otherwise, they dry out and shrink before the Trick or Treaters come by. The heat and dry air mess up a pumpkin pretty fast around here.

re: detailed pumpkins don't last long at all

We sprayed all cut edges with PAM and stuck in the fridge. Put outside when really ready, they kept pretty good. The oil decreased the evaporation that kills the shape. But the oil soaked in some too. Never caught on fire from it, but we were worried a little.

This was only for morning/midday to night though.

re: detailed pumpkins don't last long at all

We sprayed all cut edges with PAM and stuck in the fridge. Put outside when really ready, they kept pretty good. The oil decreased the evaporation that kills the shape. But the oil soaked in some too. Never caught on fire from it, but we were worried a little.

This was only for morning/midday to night though.

Halloween night, light that sucker up!

We got 6 pumpkins gutted two nights ago. Haven't had time to plan anything, let alone carve!

Maybe after the football game tonight we can sit down and chop a few holes in these things.

I also got some squash, like an acorn, but yellow/red, and cooked that up two nights ago when we got back from the farm. Was pretty tasty.

Back